Help with a Hydrogen Fuel cell presentation

In summary, The future of the hydrogen economy is promising, but there are many challenges that need to be overcome before it can become a widespread reality.
Plasma
I need help thinking of ideas for slides. I have "How it works", "benefits", "challenges", "Physics behind it", "Hydrogen vehicles", "Why Hydrogen", "What is a fuel cell", "Uses", "efficiency", "Fuel cell configurations". I can't think of anything else.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm assuming that the difficulty and expense of setting up a (what is currently non-existent) hydrogen infrastructure (e.g. fuelling stations) is discussed on your 'challenges' slide as a roadblock to fuel cell vehicles. However, if it is within the scope of your presentation, you could have a slide discussing what such a hydrogen infrastructure would have to include/entail.

I'm also assuming your 'challenges' slide discusses the production of hydgrogen itself, but if it doesn't, then you could have a "Where would the hydrogen come from?" slide that looks at the pros and cons of different production methods. E.g.:

1. electrolysis...clean, but requires electricity, which is not always generated cleanly.

2. extraction from hydrocarbons such as methane (not clean, but commonplace).

In other words, think critically about this technology.

Maybe you could wrap it up with a slide that looks to the future...discussing the potential of this technology, implications of it becoming widespread and envisioning a "hydrogen economy."

cepheid said:
I'm assuming that the difficulty and expense of setting up a (what is currently non-existent) hydrogen infrastructure (e.g. fuelling stations) is discussed on your 'challenges' slide as a roadblock to fuel cell vehicles. However, if it is within the scope of your presentation, you could have a slide discussing what such a hydrogen infrastructure would have to include/entail.

I'm also assuming your 'challenges' slide discusses the production of hydgrogen itself, but if it doesn't, then you could have a "Where would the hydrogen come from?" slide that looks at the pros and cons of different production methods. E.g.:

1. electrolysis...clean, but requires electricity, which is not always generated cleanly.

2. extraction from hydrocarbons such as methane (not clean, but commonplace).

In other words, think critically about this technology.

Maybe you could wrap it up with a slide that looks to the future...discussing the potential of this technology, implications of it becoming widespread and envisioning a "hydrogen economy."

The future? That's perfect. Thanks.

greenhouse gas global balance,
pollutants balance,
pollutants geographic distribution,
vector versus energy source

1. What is a hydrogen fuel cell?

A hydrogen fuel cell is an electrochemical device that converts the chemical energy of hydrogen and oxygen into electrical energy, with water as the only byproduct. It is similar to a battery, but does not require recharging and can continuously produce electricity as long as there is a supply of hydrogen and oxygen.

2. How does a hydrogen fuel cell work?

A hydrogen fuel cell works by using hydrogen as the fuel and oxygen as the oxidizer. The hydrogen is split into protons and electrons in the anode (negative electrode) and the protons pass through an electrolyte to the cathode (positive electrode). The electrons travel through an external circuit, creating an electrical current. At the cathode, the protons, electrons, and oxygen combine to produce water and heat.

3. What are the advantages of using hydrogen fuel cells?

Hydrogen fuel cells have several advantages, such as being environmentally friendly as they only produce water and heat as byproducts. They also have a high energy efficiency, with some fuel cells reaching up to 60% efficiency. Additionally, hydrogen is abundant and can be produced from renewable sources, making it a sustainable energy source.

4. What are the challenges of using hydrogen fuel cells?

One of the main challenges of using hydrogen fuel cells is the cost. Currently, the production and infrastructure for hydrogen fuel cells are expensive. There are also safety concerns, such as the flammability of hydrogen gas. However, these challenges are being addressed through research and development efforts.

5. How are hydrogen fuel cells being used today?

Hydrogen fuel cells are currently being used in various applications, such as powering vehicles, providing backup power for buildings, and powering portable electronic devices. They are also being used in the aerospace industry and in some industrial processes. Research is also ongoing to explore other potential uses for hydrogen fuel cells, such as in stationary power generation.