Understanding Pressure: Definitions and Units

In summary, pressure can be defined as the force per unit area and can be measured in units such as newtons per square meter, pascals, force per unit area, and mass per unit volume. The typical unit of pressure in the USA is psi (pounds per square inch), where pounds is a measure of force and square inches is a measure of area.
BMWPower06

Homework Statement

Which of the following definitions or units apply to pressure?
True False Newtons per square meter
True False kg per cubic meter
True False pascals
True False force per unit area
True False mass per unit volume

The Attempt at a Solution

My answers are in bold, says my answers are wrong, anyone know what I am doing wrong, from what i found in my textbook i got these answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure if this is helpful for everyone or not, but consider the logic I often use when determining which units are indicative of pressure. That logic is as follows:

A typical unit of pressure in the USA is psi (pounds per square inch). I know pounds is a measure of force (not mass) and a square inch is a measure of area. Thus, pressure units must carry the form of force per area.

I hope this helps.

BMWPower06 said:

Homework Statement

Which of the following definitions or units apply to pressure?
True False Newtons per square meter
True False kg per cubic meter
True False pascals
True False force per unit area
True False mass per unit volume

The Attempt at a Solution

My answers are in bold, says my answers are wrong, anyone know what I am doing wrong, from what i found in my textbook i got these answers.

CaptainZappo said:
I am not sure if this is helpful for everyone or not, but consider the logic I often use when determining which units are indicative of pressure. That logic is as follows:

A typical unit of pressure in the USA is psi (pounds per square inch). I know pounds is a measure of force (not mass) and a square inch is a measure of area. Thus, pressure units must carry the form of force per area.

I hope this helps.

Well when u put it like that it all makes sense, Thanks got the right answer:smile:

1. What is pressure?

Pressure is the amount of force applied per unit area. It is a measure of how much force is distributed over a given surface area.

2. What are the common units for pressure?

The most commonly used units for pressure are pascals (Pa), atmospheres (atm), and pounds per square inch (psi). Other units include bar, torr, and millimeters of mercury (mmHg).

3. How do you calculate pressure?

Pressure can be calculated by dividing the force applied by the area over which it is applied. The formula for pressure is P = F/A, where P is pressure, F is force, and A is area.

4. What is the difference between absolute and gauge pressure?

Absolute pressure is the total pressure exerted by a fluid, including atmospheric pressure. Gauge pressure, on the other hand, is the pressure measured above atmospheric pressure. This means that absolute pressure will always be higher than gauge pressure.

5. How does pressure affect objects?

Pressure can affect objects in different ways depending on the material and its properties. For example, high pressure can cause objects to compress or deform, while low pressure can cause objects to expand. In some cases, pressure can also cause objects to change state, such as from a solid to a liquid.