How to determine if a 3x3 matrix is diagonalisable or not?

• Thread starter neelakash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    3x3 Matrix
In summary: Please do not repeat information that has already been provided. In summary, to determine if a 3x3 matrix is diagonalisable or not, one can use the fact that the algebraic multiplicity must equal the geometric multiplicy for each eigenvalue. This means that there must be as many eigenvectors as there are eigenvalues. One way to check this is to compute all the eigenvectors and see if there are enough. Another useful fact is that the geometric multiplicity is less or equal to the algebraic multiplicity, and in some cases, one can determine the geometric multiplicities from the algebraic multiplicities and conclude about the possibility of diagonalization. Additionally, for symmetric matrices over R, it is automatically diagonalizable.
neelakash
Can anyone tell me how can we determine if a 3x3 matrix is diagonalisable or not?It is not a homework problem...But I need to know this.Say I am given a 3x3 real matrix...And I want to see if it is diagonalizable or not without brute evaluation...Then how can I dio this?

Physics news on Phys.org
there are some special matrices which are automatically diagonalizable with no calculation, namely symmetric ones, and i guess over C, ones which commute with their adjoints.

in general, one needs to do some computation, find the chracteristic polynomial, the eigenvalues, and then see whether the number of independent eigenvectors for each of the eigenvalues equals the multiplicity of the eigenvalue as a root of the characteristic polynomial.

i hope this is right, i forget quickly, and it has been 6 months since i taught this course.

Pretty close mathwonk. You need a number of eigenvectors equal to the dimension of the space the matrix is mapping on/from. For example, on a 4x4 matrix, if 2 is the only eigenvalue, as a double root of the characteristic polynomial, even if you have two linearly independent eigenvectors for 2, you still don't have enough as you need enough to match the dimension of the space (4 in this case). Basically, watch out for the fact that not all the roots of the characteristic polynomial are real

neelakash said:
Can anyone tell me how can we determine if a 3x3 matrix is diagonalisable or not?It is not a homework problem...But I need to know this.Say I am given a 3x3 real matrix...And I want to see if it is diagonalizable or not without brute evaluation...Then how can I dio this?

The simplest statement I can think of about the diagonizability of a matrix is
that the algebraic multiplicity must equal the geometric multiplicy
for each eigenvalue. It's just another way of saying that there are
as many eigenvectors as there are eigenvalues.
Of course this is just a statement.

The only test I'm aware of is to compute all the eigenvectors, and look to see whether there
are enough.

Last edited:
Another useful fact is that the geometric multiplicity is less or equal to the algebraic multiplicity, for every eigenvalue. Further on, the geometric multiplicity is greater or equal to one, and hence, in some cases, one can, knowing only the algeraic multiplicities, directly see what the geometric miltiplicities are, and conclude about the possibility of diagonalization. For example, if your characteristic polynomial is of the form p(x) = x(1 - x)(2 - x) (doesn't really matter now), you see that the spectre of the matrix is {0, 1, 2}, and a(0) = a(1) = a(2) = 1, and hence g(0) = g(1) = g(2), so the matrix can be diagonalized.

here is an example. suppose the charcteristic polynomial of T is (X-a)^n.

that means that (T-a)^n = 0. Diagonalizability emans that actually T-a = 0 already. so you have to compoute the kernel;s of the various powers of T-a to see how far T is from diagonalizability.more generally, if the characteristic polynomial is ∏ (X-ai)^ni, that means that ∏ (T-ai)^ni = 0 and diagonalizability emans that already ∏(T-ai) = 0.

so again, for eqch ai you have to compute the kernel of the various powers of T-ai.

shredder, please read my post again and see if it isn't the same condition as yours.

In addition to what has been said, all symmetric matrices over R are diagonalizable.
To check for a nxn matrix over F, you have to find a basis for F^n where all the vectors in the basis are e-vectors.

Again, daniel, all of what you wrote has been said (in the very first reply by mathwonk).

1. How do I determine if a 3x3 matrix is diagonalisable or not?

To determine if a 3x3 matrix is diagonalisable, you need to first find the eigenvalues of the matrix. If there are three distinct eigenvalues, then the matrix is diagonalisable.

2. What is an eigenvalue?

An eigenvalue is a scalar value that represents the amount by which a vector is scaled when it is multiplied by a matrix. In simpler terms, it is a number that represents how a particular vector is affected by a matrix.

3. How do I find the eigenvalues of a 3x3 matrix?

To find the eigenvalues of a 3x3 matrix, you need to solve the characteristic equation det(A-λI)=0, where A is the matrix and λ is the eigenvalue. This will give you three possible eigenvalues for the matrix.

4. Can a 3x3 matrix have repeated eigenvalues and still be diagonalisable?

Yes, a 3x3 matrix can have repeated eigenvalues and still be diagonalisable. However, it is only diagonalisable if the corresponding eigenvectors are linearly independent.

5. What is the importance of determining if a matrix is diagonalisable?

Determining if a matrix is diagonalisable is important because it allows us to simplify calculations and solve certain problems more easily. Diagonalisable matrices have special properties that make them easier to work with and understand.