The green flash: A good picture

In summary, the conversation discusses the existence and cause of the green flash that can sometimes be seen when the Sun sets. While some believe it is a myth and others have seen it and take pride in it, it is a real phenomenon that is well understood. One person expresses excitement about the concept and thanks the other for providing information on it.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Explanation: Many think it is just a myth. Others think it is true but its cause isn't known. Adventurers pride themselves on having seen it. It's a green flash from the Sun. The truth is the green flash does exist and its cause is well understood. Just as the setting Sun disappears completely from view, a last glimmer appears startlingly green. [continued]

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap040321.html

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Ivan, that is SO COOL! I've always wanted to see that! I've never seen a picture of it, so I couldn't even really mentally visualize what it might look like. Thanks!

1. What is the green flash?

The green flash is an optical phenomenon that occurs at sunset or sunrise when a green spot is briefly visible above the upper rim of the sun's disk. It is caused by the refraction of sunlight in the Earth's atmosphere.

2. How can I capture a good picture of the green flash?

To capture a good picture of the green flash, you will need a camera with manual settings and a tripod to keep the camera steady. You should also choose a clear day with minimal atmospheric disturbances and position yourself in a location with an unobstructed view of the horizon.

3. When is the best time to see the green flash?

The best time to see the green flash is during sunset or sunrise, when the sun is close to the horizon. However, the conditions have to be just right for it to occur, so it may not be visible every day.

4. Are there other colors involved in the green flash?

Yes, there are often other colors involved in the green flash, such as blue, violet, and even red. These colors can be seen as the sun sets or rises and the light is refracted in the atmosphere.

5. Is the green flash a rare occurrence?

The green flash is not necessarily rare, but it can be difficult to see. It requires specific conditions and a clear view of the horizon, so it may not be visible every day. However, with the right preparation and timing, you can increase your chances of witnessing this beautiful phenomenon.