Convergence or divergence of log series

In summary, the homework statement is to evaluate the following series or show if it diverges: the log function, and to find a lower bound on the sum of the logs.
Rosey24

Homework Statement

I'm supposed to evaluate the following series or show if it diverges:

SUM (sigma) log [(x+1)/x]

Homework Equations

Drawing a blank...:confused:

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm unsure how to start this. We've gone over all sorts of tests for convergence (ratio, comparison, p-series, etc), but I'm not sure what to do with the log function. A push in the right direction would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
What are you summing over (I assume x, though x usually denotes a continuous variables, and indices like k or n are commonly used for discrete summation) and what are your bounds (if x = 0 is included in the summation you immediately see that it diverges, but if [itex]x \ge 1[/itex] this is not immediately obvious).
In other words, please be a little more specific.

I recalled this incorrectly, it's log[(n+1)/n] and no bounds were given, though I would assume it's 1 to infinity as zero would diverge.

ok n=1, n->infinity, before you think about the log, what happens to the (n+1)/n ? figure that out first then you can figure out if the log of that converges/diferges

as n goes to infinity, (n+1)n will converge to 1, right? and log (1) is zero.

Right, but that just tells you the series CAN converge, for this problem I'm thinking L'Hospital's rule due to the log.
A nice series to compare with is the Harmonic Series, 1/x, since (n+1)/n = 1 +1/n.

Edit: sry comparing with 1/x doesn't work >< Just woke up and automatically did L'Hospital's rule without checking if the comparison gave an indeterminate form.

EditEdit: ok it does work >.> it gives you 0/0 lol

Last edited:
I suggest obtaining a lower bound on log [(x+1)/x] = log [1+1/x] by use of a Taylor expansion, and then comparing the sum of logs with the sum of that lower bound.

It's pretty easy to find a closed form for the partial sum.

Big stinking giveaway hint:
[tex]\log \frac{a}{b}=\log{a}-\log{b}[/tex]

Likes Ignis Radiis

What is the definition of convergence of a log series?

The convergence of a log series refers to the property of a series where the terms of the series approach a finite limit as the number of terms in the series increases. In other words, the sum of the series approaches a specific value as the number of terms increases.

How do I determine if a log series is convergent or divergent?

To determine the convergence or divergence of a log series, you can use the ratio test or the comparison test. The ratio test compares the ratio of consecutive terms in the series to a limit, while the comparison test compares the log series to a known convergent or divergent series.

What is the difference between absolute and conditional convergence of a log series?

A log series is absolutely convergent if the series formed by taking the absolute value of each term is convergent. On the other hand, a log series is conditionally convergent if the series is convergent, but not absolutely convergent.

Can a log series be both convergent and divergent?

No, a log series cannot be both convergent and divergent. A series is either convergent or divergent, based on whether the sum of the series approaches a finite limit or not.

How is the convergence or divergence of a log series related to its rate of growth?

The rate of growth of a log series is directly related to its convergence or divergence. If the terms of the series increase or decrease at a slower rate as the number of terms increases, the series is more likely to be convergent. On the other hand, if the terms increase or decrease at a faster rate, the series is more likely to be divergent.