Visit a Coal Power Plant: 660Mw and Beyond

In summary, the speaker visited a coal power plant and was impressed by its size and operation. However, their tour guide was unable to answer many questions. The power plant has two 660Mw turbines and the speaker wonders why they don't use larger turbines. The standard size for power plants and reactors seems to be around 660Mw, possibly due to logistical and engineering reasons.
parsec
I visited a coal power plant on the weekend, and was quite impressed by the scale and enormity of the operation. 10 storey high boilers suspended from the ceiling, Turbines and generators the size of two semi trailers, etc. (I highly recommend it if you can spare the time)

Unfortunately our tour guide was a bitter, jaded security guard and was unable/unwilling to answer most of my questions.

The power plant sported pretty impressive figures for a non-supercritical coal fired plant. Each turbine consumes about 80kg/s of coal, producing 560kg/s of steam to generate 660Mw.

Given the scale and size of the installation, I'm wondering why they stop at 660Mw. Why not a gigawatt turbine? Why not two gigawatts?

I can't really think of any good logistical reason for this. Is it simply economics? Maintenance logistics? or is there some good engineering reason why powerplants aren't bigger than they are.

Physics news on Phys.org
660Mw is somethign of a standard, Drax the biggest plant in the UK has 6x660MW. I assume that it is built as a number of smaller turbines to allow it to continue operating while parts are shut down for maintainence otherwise it would be more efficent to make one large turbine.

Most reactors are also around this figure but since they generally use sea/lake water for cooling the exact steam power depends on the weather!

Last edited:
Yeah, this particular power plant features two 660Mw turbines. It seems to be a common figure for power plants, and rather arbitrary, which is why I'm curious. I've never heard of more powerful turbines.

I assume the figure is a maximum rating given the lowest reasonable ambient/condenser temperature for that particular region or climate.

Last edited:

What is a coal power plant?

A coal power plant is a facility that uses coal to generate electricity. Coal is burned in a furnace to heat water, which produces steam. The steam then turns a turbine to generate electricity.

Why is it important to visit a coal power plant?

Visiting a coal power plant allows individuals to see firsthand how electricity is produced and the impact of coal on the environment. It also provides insight into the technology and processes involved in generating electricity from coal.

What is the capacity of a 660Mw coal power plant?

A 660Mw coal power plant has the capacity to generate 660 megawatts of electricity per hour. This is enough to power approximately 600,000 homes.

What are the environmental impacts of a coal power plant?

Coal power plants emit greenhouse gases, such as carbon dioxide, which contribute to climate change. They also produce air pollutants, such as sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxides, which can lead to health issues and environmental damage.

What are some alternatives to coal power?

Alternative sources of electricity include renewable energy sources, such as solar, wind, and hydro power. These sources are cleaner and more sustainable than coal, but may not have the same level of reliability and consistency as coal power.