Prove that d(x,y)/(1+ d(x,y)) is another metric

• Thread starter ELESSAR TELKONT
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Metric
In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that the function \tilde{d}(x,y)=\frac{d(x,y)}{1+d(x,y)} is another metric when d(x,y) is a metric in \mathbb{R}^n. The speaker has proven that it is not degenerated and symmetric, but is struggling with proving the triangle's inequality. They ask for help and the other person suggests multiplying through to clear the denominators and using the fact that d already satisfies the inequality. The speaker also mentions a helpful lemma and hints at using calculus to prove that the function f(x)=\frac{x}{1+x} is increasing on \mathbf{R}^+.
ELESSAR TELKONT
I have the next problem:

Let [itex]d(x,y)[/itex] be a metric in [itex]\mathbb{R}^n[/itex]. If we define [itex]\tilde{d}(x,y)=\frac{d(x,y)}{1+d(x,y)}[/itex], proof that [itex]\tilde{d}(x,y)[/itex] is another metric.

I have proven that is not degenerated (i.e. [itex]\tilde{d}(x,y)=0 \longleftrightarrow x=y[/itex]) and symmetric. But I can't proof the triangle's inequality, I only get that is equivalent to proof that

[itex]\frac{d(x,y)}{1+d(x,y)}\leq \frac{d(x,z)}{1+d(x,z)}+\frac{d(y,z)}{1+d(y,z)}[/itex]

I need some help, please, because if the denominators wouldn't exist it will be easy. That's I need to know if the denominators in the right member of inequality are lesser than the one on the other member. I hope can you help me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you try to multiply through to clear all of the denominators? [multiply the inequality by the product of all of the denominators]
It seems that there will be numerous terms that can be grouped.
Make use of the fact that d already satisfies the inequality.

This is called the bounded metric (associated with d) because it is bounded by 1.

I did this problem earlier this summer, and I found it helpful to prove this lemma first:

"If [itex]0\leq a \leq b[/itex], then [tex]\frac{a}{1+a}\leq \frac{b}{1+b}[/tex]"

Then knowing that d already satisfies the triangle inequality, the answer is very near.

Quasar is essentially is saying that [itex]f(x)=\frac{x}{1+x}[/itex] is increasing on [itex]\mathbf{R}^+[/itex]. You can prove this algebraically, which I believe quasar is hinting at, but it "easier" to do it with calculus.

What is the definition of a metric?

A metric is a mathematical function that measures the distance between objects in a given space. It is used to define the concept of distance and can be applied to various types of spaces, such as Euclidean space or abstract spaces.

What is the purpose of a metric in mathematics?

The purpose of a metric is to provide a way to quantify the distance between objects in a space. It allows for the comparison and analysis of distances and can be used to define important concepts such as convergence and continuity.

How does d(x,y)/(1+ d(x,y)) differ from other metrics?

The metric d(x,y)/(1+ d(x,y)) is known as the modified metric and differs from other metrics in that it is bounded between 0 and 1. This means that the distance between any two points can never be greater than 1, which can be useful in certain applications.

What are the properties of d(x,y)/(1+ d(x,y)) as a metric?

The modified metric has three properties that must be satisfied in order to be considered a valid metric: non-negativity, symmetry, and the triangle inequality. It also satisfies the property of boundedness, meaning that it is always between 0 and 1.

How is the modified metric used in mathematics and other fields?

The modified metric has various applications in mathematics, such as in the analysis of complex functions and in the study of geometric shapes. It is also used in fields such as computer science and engineering, where it can be used to measure the similarity between objects or data sets.