Why dimensions can be treated as algebraic quantities?

In summary, according to the author, dimensions can be treated as algebraic quantities. This is done by including units with a letter (F for force, N for Newton, etc.), and then multiplying the units. For example, the apple case (x.x = x^2) can be expressed algebraically as x.x = x^2, but x would represent a number, not time, weight, etc. When multiplying seconds.seconds, the result is sec^2.
Hi, in my physics book (serway) they say "dimensions can be treated as algebraic quantities" but I don't understand this very well. If I sum meters I get meters, if I multiply meters I think I get meters^2 because the area of a rectangle is b.h. But if, for instance, I multiply seconds.seconds I don't uderstand why I get sec^2.

Algebraically x.x = x^2 but x represent a a number not time, weight, etc.

I see it like 3 apples x 2 apples = 6 apples^2.

Probably I'm getting this wrong, Could you help me to understand this right please?

As always, excuse me if my english isn't very clear.

Physics news on Phys.org
i hope this helps

asking such question, i assume you are like me, a person fusing about how everything tiny detail functions,:approve:

yes it is rite that they can be treated as algebraic quantities,
in physics, a letter is usally used with the inclusion of units
we say, the force is donated by F, not F N as in F Newton

the apple case is rite, but we don't see ourselfs multiple apples by apples do we,we can say, i bought 6 sets of 4 apples, that implies 4 * 6 applies ie 24 apples but we don't see ourselves multiplying apples by applies

we can treat them as algebric quanties as we always express them as rates (unit 1) / (unit 2), such as in velocity (m/s) but we find it better to treat units as algebric qualites as exampled in the case of acceleration
a= (v_f - v_0) / t where v_f is the final velocity and v_0 is the intial velocity which is denoted by the unit (m/s) and time in s
then a's unit must be (m/s * 1/s)

we donate this unit
(m * 1)/ (s*s) which is m s^-2

lets give it a numberic value as well
the acceleration of a car is 2 metres per second per second or 2 metres per second squared ( to the north) . then in a 1 sec period, the cars speed changes m s^-2 * 1s =2 metres per second or (2m/s)/s * 1s = 2 metres per second

so really there is not sec^2 in the world but it exists as sec and is usually expressed as the rate of something ( unit 1 (eg. Joule)/ sec) and then it follows that the rate of change of that rate is ( unit 1/ sec / sec) which is better expressed as (unit 1 s^2) and as seen in the acceleartion case multple this by a value of time will result in the change if the other rate in that time period!

I hope this is suppose to help you more than to add confusion!
PS my english is not so perfect either!

Yes that is true calculus_jy , the units like J*m/s^3 don't exists, they just help us to see what a specific physical formula tells us. And also to make sure that what is on the left side is the same as the right side. You can't compare a quantity that has the units J/T with another one that has m/s^3

Thank you for your answers.

1. Why can dimensions be treated as algebraic quantities?

Dimensions can be treated as algebraic quantities because they possess similar properties to other algebraic quantities, such as numbers. They can be added, subtracted, multiplied, and divided, and follow the same rules of algebra. This makes it easier to manipulate and solve equations involving dimensions.

2. What are the benefits of treating dimensions as algebraic quantities?

By treating dimensions as algebraic quantities, we can easily simplify and solve complex equations involving multiple dimensions. This allows us to better understand the relationships between different physical quantities and their units, and make accurate predictions and calculations in scientific experiments.

3. How does treating dimensions as algebraic quantities differ from treating them as units?

Treating dimensions as algebraic quantities involves using algebraic operations to manipulate and solve equations, while treating them as units involves converting between different units of measurement. By treating dimensions as algebraic quantities, we do not need to convert units and can focus on the mathematical relationships between different physical quantities.

4. Is there a limit to the number of dimensions that can be treated as algebraic quantities?

No, there is no limit to the number of dimensions that can be treated as algebraic quantities. As long as the physical quantity has a measurable magnitude and a corresponding unit, it can be represented as an algebraic quantity. This includes fundamental dimensions such as length, time, and mass, as well as derived dimensions such as velocity, acceleration, and force.

5. Are there any exceptions to treating dimensions as algebraic quantities?

Yes, there are some exceptions to treating dimensions as algebraic quantities. One example is when dealing with quantities that involve trigonometric functions, such as angles and rotations. In these cases, the dimensions are still represented by units, but the mathematical operations involved may be different from traditional algebraic operations.