Natural Logarithm of Negative Numbers

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation (-2)^n = 16 and how to solve for n. It is shown that n=4 is not the only possible solution and that log is a multivalued function due to the periodicity of e^x. The correct solution is found by using the principal value of the natural logarithm and introducing arbitrary integers.
prasannapakkiam
Well I came across this when someone asked me this question:

(-2)^n = 16

I can clearly see n=4. However, he did this:

ln((-2)^n) = ln(16)
n*ln(-2) = ln(16)
n*ln(2)+n*i*pi = ln(16)

How can I show that n=4 from this?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It's because n=4 isn't the only possible solution. Remember that log is a multivalued function (like arcsin) -- so introduce the necessary parametrisation, and see that it can be set to zero.

Log is a multivalued function since [tex] e^x [/tex] is a periodic function. Remember that Euler showed that

[tex] e^{ix} = \cos{x} + i\sin{x} [/tex] and hence we have that [tex] e^x = e^{x + 2\pi i n [/tex] and more general since [tex] a^x = e^{\ln{a} x} [/tex] it's true that [tex] a^x [/tex] is a periodic function.

Can someone please Exemplify? I get what they say; but I am still stuck...

prasannapakkiam said:
However, he did this:

ln((-2)^n) = ln(16)
n*ln(-2) = ln(16)
n*ln(2)+n*i*pi = ln(16)

How can I show that n=4 from this?

You can't, because your friend made a mistake. As written, n=4 is not a solution. He should have used

[tex]\begin{align*}
\ln(-2) &= \text{Ln}(2) + (1 + 2k) \pi i \\
\ln(16) &= \text{Ln}(16) + 2m\pi i
\end{align*}[/tex]

where [itex]\text{Ln}(x)[/itex] is the principal value of the natural logarithm and [itex]k[/itex] and [itex]m[/itex] are abitrary integers.

Applying the above to [itex]n\ln(-2) = \ln(16)[/itex] yields

[tex]n(\text{Ln}(2) + (1 + 2k) \pi i) = \text{Ln}(16) + 2m\pi i[/tex]

From this you should be able to show that n=4 is but one of infinitely many solutions and also that n=4 is the only pure real solution.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your input. In the end I see that it is quite a simple problem. However, thanks for putting me on track...

1. What is the natural logarithm of a negative number?

The natural logarithm of a negative number is not defined as a real number. This is because the natural logarithm function, denoted as ln(x), can only take positive numbers as inputs.

2. Can the natural logarithm of a negative number be a complex number?

Yes, the natural logarithm of a negative number can be a complex number. In complex analysis, the natural logarithm function can be extended to take negative numbers as inputs. The resulting complex number is known as a complex logarithm.

3. What is the difference between the natural logarithm of a negative number and a positive number?

The main difference is that the natural logarithm of a positive number is a real number, while the natural logarithm of a negative number is a complex number. Additionally, the natural logarithm of a positive number is always greater than 0, while the natural logarithm of a negative number can be both positive and negative.

4. Can the natural logarithm of a negative number be equal to 0?

No, the natural logarithm of a negative number cannot be equal to 0. As mentioned before, the natural logarithm function can only take positive numbers as inputs, and the output of ln(x) is never 0.

5. Why is the natural logarithm of a negative number important?

The natural logarithm of a negative number is important in complex analysis and advanced mathematics. It allows for the creation of more complex functions and equations that involve negative numbers. It is also used in various real-world applications, such as in physics and engineering.