How Far East Did the Backpacker Walk?

In summary, a backpacker travels with an average velocity of 1.34 m/s due west for 6.44 km. She then turns around and travels with an average velocity of 0.447 m/s due east. By setting up a system of equations, it can be determined that she traveled for 2388.0 seconds with an average velocity of 2.68 m/s due west and for an unknown amount of time with an average velocity of 0.447 m/s due east.
HT3

Homework Statement

In reaching her destination, a backpacker walks with an average velocity of 1.34 m/s, due west. This average velocity results because she hikes for 6.44 km with an average velocity of 2.68m/s, due west, turns around, and hikes with an average velocity of 0.447 m/s, due east. How far east did she walk?

Homework Equations

Δv=Δd/Δt
Δd=(v1xt1)+(v2xt2)
Δt=t1+t2

The Attempt at a Solution

v1=2.68m/s west
t1=2402
d1=6440m west

v2=0.477m/s east
t2=?
d2=?

At this point I notice I have two variables? t2? and d2? And I do not where to continue from here.

please help me thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well having two variable means you need two equations to solve this, right?

Your equation for average velocity turns out to be (- is west, + is east)

[tex]
-1.34\frac{m}{s} = \frac{displacement}{t_1 + t_2}
[/tex]

Where [tex]t_1, t_2[/tex] are your independent time it takes to travel west/east from given information.

And displacement = [tex]d_1-d_2[/tex]

You've managed to find [tex]t_1[/tex], which is 2388.0 sec. and [tex]d_1[/tex] is given to you. Plug that into the equation above.

You have another equation for the distance traveled east, which is

[tex]
d_2 = 0.447 * t_2
[/tex]

Now you have two equations and two unknowns! Rest is up to your math.

Ahh I am going to have to use a system of equations i see..
thanks a lot..ill post back once i solve it

Unless if you know Calculus :D There's more of a dynamics-approach of solving this.

awesome thanks so much i got the answer - this place will probably be another home for me during this physics semester :) haha thanks again man

What is average velocity?

Average velocity is the measure of displacement over time. It is calculated by dividing the total displacement by the total time.

How do you calculate average velocity?

Average velocity is calculated by dividing the total displacement by the total time.

What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is calculated over a specific period of time, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity at a specific moment in time. Average velocity gives an overall picture of the object's motion, while instantaneous velocity provides information about its motion at a particular moment.

What is the unit of measurement for average velocity?

The unit of measurement for average velocity is typically meters per second (m/s) in the SI system or feet per second (ft/s) in the English system.

How is average velocity used in science?

Average velocity is used in science to describe the motion of objects and to analyze the relationship between displacement and time. It is also used to determine the speed and direction of an object's motion.