Help: tension of a line with a hanging weight?

In summary, two equal tension forces are exerted on the rope, with one pulling in the positive x direction and the other pulling in the negative x direction. The vertical components of these forces together add up to the weight of the block. Using the given information and basic trigonometry, we can solve for the tension in the rope and the forces exerted on the hooks.
willpower101

Homework Statement

A horizontal rope is tightly tied to hooks between two walls separated by a distance of 5m. A 100 Newton weight is suspended from the middle fo the rope and it sags so that the middle of the rope is displaced a distance of .25 meters.

a) what's the tension in the rope?
b) what are the horizontal and vertical forces are exerted on the hooks?

Homework Equations

I have no idea how to solve this.

The Attempt at a Solution

SAVE0065.jpg

We've been resolving vectors into their components using
A*sin(A's θ)= Ayi
A*cos(B's θ)= Axj

Then
Resultant = sqrt(sumX^2 + sumY^2)
Resultant θ = arctan(Y/X)
Equilibrant θ= Rθ + 180

I just don't know what to do with the info I have. 100N seems to be the only force I have to work with. It looks like a vector component y.

I assume I need to fine the force of the hypotenuse vector I need to find it in the direction toward θ1? But I keep going around in circles trying to figure it out.

Physics news on Phys.org
I also thought of going about it in a similar fashion to how we did the force table excercise by making a circle and having all the vector components sum to zero? (is that correct on how it should work? But I'm lose at getting the rest of the info i need.

SAVE0066.jpg

bump?
When I asked this, I had already turned in the lab with this question unanswered. The ta announced on his website that, since it's easier for him to grade correct answers, he wants to help us. He was absolutely no help. He told me that since I had the angle, I could answer the question.

anyone?

Because the weight is in the middle, it means that the tension forces are equal in magnitude. The system is also at equilibrium. This means two things:
-The horizontal components are equal and cancel each other out.
-The vertical components are equal, and the two added together must equal the weight.

From this, we can draw a triangle to represent this scenario. The only problem is that we don't have the angles. To get the angles, we draw another triangle. This triangles sides will be 0.25m and the 5m, you have to draw it. Grab the angles, transpose them to the force triangle.

Once you have your force triangle you can answer (a, to get (b, you will need to do some geometry to get one right-angled triangle, from which you can grab the height and length.

Also remember that force is a vector, so it needs a direction.

willpower101 said:
bump?
When I asked this, I had already turned in the lab with this question unanswered. The ta announced on his website that, since it's easier for him to grade correct answers, he wants to help us. He was absolutely no help. He told me that since I had the angle, I could answer the question.

anyone?

The angle which you are getting is correct.Let the tensions be [tex]T_1[/tex] and [tex]T_2[/tex]. We have already got the angle.

So now as the block has no horizontal motion, the x components of the tension in both the strings are equal to each other.

Now there is no vertical motion also,so the summation of the y components of both the strings is equal to the weight of the block.

Solve both the equations simultaneosly and you get the answer.

1. What is tension in a hanging weight?

Tension in a hanging weight refers to the force exerted by the weight on the line or rope to which it is attached. It is a measure of the pulling force that keeps the weight suspended in the air.

2. How is tension calculated in a hanging weight?

Tension can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the hanging weight by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²). This gives the weight of the object. Then, the weight is divided by the number of lines supporting the weight to get the tension in each individual line.

3. What factors affect the tension in a hanging weight?

The tension in a hanging weight is affected by the weight of the object, the number of lines supporting the weight, and the angle at which the lines are attached to the weight. Additionally, the strength and elasticity of the line or rope also play a role in determining the tension.

4. How does the angle of the lines affect the tension in a hanging weight?

The angle of the lines attached to the hanging weight can affect the tension. As the angle increases, the tension in the lines decreases. This is because the weight is distributed among multiple lines, so the force on each individual line is reduced.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding tension in hanging weights?

Understanding tension in hanging weights is important in many industries, such as construction, engineering, and transportation. It is also relevant in everyday tasks, such as lifting and carrying objects. Additionally, understanding tension can help prevent accidents and ensure safety in situations involving hanging weights.