Centripetal Acceleration of washer spin cycle

In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem where the person is asked to figure out how to triple the centripetal acceleration during a washer spin cycle, expressed in terms of T. The suggested equation is a=(4pi^2R)/T^2, but the person is struggling to find the answer without using variables a, v, R, or pi. A helpful suggestion is made to use an algebraic approach, resulting in the answer T^3=_____________. The conversation concludes with a thank you to BlindSide for their help.
CursedAntagonis

Homework Statement

On your first day at work for an appliance manufacturer, you are told to figure out what to do to the period of rotation during a washer spin cycle to triple the centripetal acceleration. You impress your boss by answering immediately.

Express your answer in terms of T.

Homework Equations

a=(4pi^2R)/T^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I read the question, and I keep thinking they just want to triple the accleration...which is not the answer. I don't exactly know what they are asking for...

Physics news on Phys.org
Using that equation is a bit nasty since T is squared. You can tidy it up by remembering that [itex]R=v^2/a[/itex]. So once you have your equation You pretty much have your answer since you know how the two quantities are related. When one triples the other _______.

Kurdt said:
Using that equation is a bit nasty since T is squared. You can tidy it up by remembering that [itex]R=v^2/a[/itex]. So once you have your equation You pretty much have your answer since you know how the two quantities are related. When one triples the other _______.

This is part of an online homework and the program keeps telling me I am getting the wrong answer.

It wants the answer in terms of T and I cannot have variables a, v, R or pi in there. I must be making an exteremely dumb mistake...

If I said a was proportional to the inverse of T, that is:

[tex] a \propto \frac{1}{T} [/tex]

The you you want 3 x a, what will the above proportionality be? That is what would be done to T to make a 3 times larger?

treverd said:
bump

Why have you bumped this thread?

Help with answer!

So does anyone have an idea what the answer is?

I have this same question and for the answer they have it setup as

T^3=_____________

Thanks

We don't provide the answers for you here. You have to show some of your own work.

Try an algebraic approach if you can't get it by thinking about it.

[tex]3a = 3\left[\frac{4\pi^2R}{T^2}\right][/tex]

Now get rid of the 3 on the RHS by determining a coefficient for T within the square.

Thank you BlindSide Youve been a great help.

1. What is centripetal acceleration in the context of a washer's spin cycle?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration experienced by an object moving in a circular path. In the context of a washer's spin cycle, it refers to the acceleration of the clothes as they spin around the center of the washer.

2. How is centripetal acceleration related to the speed of the washer's spin cycle?

Centripetal acceleration is directly proportional to the square of the speed of the washer's spin cycle. This means that as the speed of the spin cycle increases, the centripetal acceleration also increases.

3. What factors affect the centripetal acceleration in a washer's spin cycle?

The centripetal acceleration in a washer's spin cycle is affected by the radius of the drum, the speed of the spin cycle, and the mass of the clothes inside the washer. A larger radius and faster spin speed will result in a higher centripetal acceleration, while a heavier load will decrease the centripetal acceleration.

4. What is the formula for calculating the centripetal acceleration of a washer's spin cycle?

The formula for calculating centripetal acceleration is a = v²/r, where "a" is the centripetal acceleration, "v" is the linear speed of the washer's spin cycle, and "r" is the radius of the drum. This formula assumes that the washer's spin cycle is a perfect circle.

5. How does centripetal acceleration impact the cleaning effectiveness of a washer's spin cycle?

The centripetal acceleration in a washer's spin cycle helps to remove dirt and stains from clothes by creating a force that pulls the clothes towards the center of the drum. This force, combined with the motion of the clothes against each other, helps to dislodge dirt and grime from the fabric, resulting in a more effective clean.