Error measurement in time of flight tests

In summary, the conversation discusses the building of a potato cannon and measuring the time it spends in the air after being shot straight up. The average time was found to be 8.3 seconds and using equations, the initial and final velocity were calculated to be 40.875 m/s. Using the equation vf^2=Vo^2 +2ax, a height of 170m or 558 feet was determined. The potential error in this calculation is affected by the accuracy of the timing and the presence of wind. However, since wind does not affect gravity, it would not have much impact on the results. Additionally, the conversation touches on the possibility of the potato reaching its terminal velocity and the effect of wind at higher altitudes
bassplayer142
I build a potato cannon with my friend and we were having fun shooting it safely in a clearing. I decided to shoot is straight up and measure the time it is in air. Out of three measurements I got 9, 9, and 7 seconds which is a long time. Taking and average and Using 2 dim eqs I got 2v=at, v=40.875 for initial and final velocity, Then using vf^2=Vo^2 +2ax I got a height of 170m or about 558 feet. How much of a error could I expect to receive. It was at about 90 degrees and I figure if the wind is blowing horizontal then there would be no error considering that it wouldn't affect gravity. Thanks.

Science news on Phys.org
Is there air resistance?
The percent error is also affected by the accuracy of the timing

also as you said,
bassplayer142 said:
I figure if the wind is blowing horizontal then there would be no error considering that it wouldn't affect gravity.

Even if the wind were blowing upwards at 5000m/s, gravity wouldn't be affected. What you meant to say is that it would not affect the net force in the y direction.

Velocity would be fairly accurate as to the height you'd be better doing some basic trig to figure out the height since you wouldn't really have constant acceleration if it hits it's terminal velocity.

I don't think it hit terminal velocity at all. Also, the day had relatively not wind at all, but that does not mean that there was wind at higher altitudes which there almost always is. 90mi/hr, it a large number and for this potato cannon, I'm just making sure it's near accurate. Keep in mind the measurements of time was taken from at average and is near exact. Thanks

1. What is the purpose of error measurement in time of flight tests?

The purpose of error measurement in time of flight tests is to determine the accuracy and precision of the time of flight measurement system. This is important for ensuring the reliability of the data collected and for identifying any potential sources of error in the system.

2. How is error measured in time of flight tests?

Error in time of flight tests is typically measured by comparing the measured time of flight to a known or expected value. This can be done through various methods such as using a reference standard, performing repeated measurements, or using mathematical calculations.

3. What are some common sources of error in time of flight tests?

Some common sources of error in time of flight tests include instrument errors, environmental factors (such as temperature and humidity), operator error, and interference from external signals.

4. How can errors in time of flight tests be minimized?

To minimize errors in time of flight tests, it is important to calibrate and maintain the measurement system regularly, use high-quality and properly functioning instruments, control for environmental factors, and follow proper measurement techniques.

5. How are errors in time of flight tests reported and analyzed?

Errors in time of flight tests are typically reported as a percentage or absolute value of the measured time of flight. They can be analyzed by comparing the error to acceptable tolerances, investigating the potential sources of error, and determining ways to improve the accuracy and precision of the measurement system.