Expansion/Compressibility Coefficients: Carnahan & Starling Model

In summary, the conversation discusses using the Carnahan and Starling equation to estimate the coefficients of volumetric expansion and compressibility for a hard sphere fluid at a packing fraction of η = 0.40. The conversation also explores the use of the ideal gas law and the expression for η to calculate the partial derivatives at constant pressure.
raintrek

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Using the Carnahan and Starling equation, estimate the coefficient of volumetric expansion, α, and the coefficient of compressibility, β, defined as

α ≡ 1/V * (δV/δT) [holding P constant] and
β ≡ -1/V * (δV/δP) [holding T constant]

(I've used δ here for partial differentials)

for the hard sphere fluid at a packing fraction η = 0.40.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried using Z = PV/nkT and then the CS expression for Z: Z = (1+η+η²-η³) / (1-η)³ however we find α = 1/T and β = 1/P which seems far too easy.

Could someone please offer a suggestion of which direction I should be looking in? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
however we find α = 1/T and β = 1/P which seems far too easy.
I get something different.

for the hard sphere fluid at a packing fraction η = 0.40.

But, the packing fraction [itex]\eta[/itex] is a function of V.

[tex]\eta = \frac{ \pi n d^3}{6V} [/tex]

So, when you use the equation of state to find the partial derivatives holding P or T constant, remember to account for this.

Last edited:
hmm, OK, let me see if I'm on the right track here,

setting Z = PV/NkT = (1+η+η²-η³) / (1-η)³
where, as you described, η = pi*N*d³ / 6V

Doing some quick algebra, I get:

V^4 (x) - V³ (1 + 3xy) + V² (3y²x - y²) - V (y³x) + y³ = 0

Where I've said,
x = P / NkT (volume "coefficient" in ideal gas law)
y = N*pi*d³ / 6 (volume "coefficient" in η)

Am I on the right track there, or have I gone completely wrong?! Thanks for your help, siddharth :)

Am I on the right track there, or have I gone completely wrong?!
I think so. However, it's easier to work with [itex]\eta[/itex] rather than V. Just express T as a function of p and [itex]\eta[/itex], calculate the derivative wrt to V (ie, eta) at constant p and then invert it to get your required partial derivative.

What is the Carnahan & Starling Model for expansion/compressibility coefficients?

The Carnahan & Starling Model is an equation of state used to describe the behavior of gases at high pressures and low temperatures. It takes into account the size and interactions of gas molecules to accurately predict the compressibility and expansion coefficients of a gas.

What is the difference between expansion and compressibility coefficients?

Expansion coefficients describe how much a gas will expand when its temperature increases at constant pressure. Compressibility coefficients, on the other hand, describe how much the volume of a gas will decrease when pressure is increased at constant temperature.

How is the Carnahan & Starling Model derived?

The Carnahan & Starling Model is derived from the van der Waals equation of state, which takes into account the size and interactions of gas molecules. It is a modification of the van der Waals equation that includes additional terms to better describe the behavior of gases at high pressures and low temperatures.

What are the limitations of the Carnahan & Starling Model?

The Carnahan & Starling Model is most accurate for gases with relatively small molecules and at low temperatures. It also does not take into account the effects of intermolecular forces, which can be significant for some gases.

How is the Carnahan & Starling Model used in practical applications?

The Carnahan & Starling Model is commonly used in the chemical and petroleum industries to predict the behavior of gases in various processes, such as in the design of gas pipelines or in the production of liquefied gases. It is also used in theoretical studies to understand the behavior of gases under extreme conditions.