Can low temperatures kill all bacteria and parasites in vegetables?

• Thread starter Jekertee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bacteria
In summary: Freezing should not kill anything that is parasitic in nature that requires a hospitable environment to grow, like some types of worms. In summary, freezing does not kill all bacteria, may not kill parasites, and may not kill anything that is parasitic in nature that requires a hospitable environment to grow.
Jekertee
I like fresh mixed vegetable, they are sold cheaply so very very much more than the country I have been to, but the hygience seems more problematic
If I leave the vegetable inside the fridge for hours till it gets frozen completely, will all the bacteria be get rid of by the low temperature ?
I am just worried they will wake up after being brought back to normal temperature :smile:

Thanks

Biology news on Phys.org
No. Cold temperatures do not kill bacteria - they simply stop bacterial growth.
Yes, they will "wake up" when they get warm.

Your best choice is washing. There are detergents meant to kill bacteria on food.
Get all the dirt off the veggies, then soak them in a soltuion of the fetergent. Rinse really well.

By bad hygiene - I assume you mean they use night soil - "human manure" on crops. If that is the case you really should cook your veggies at least a little bit. The chances of your getting some basty pathogen are pretty good.

Boiling water, for example, kills most bacteria and other things like the amoeba that causes dysentery. It will kill things like that in about 60 seconds. This does not work on green leafy veggies meant to be eaten uncooked. There are other disinfectant kinds of veggie treatments you can use. They require soaking in a disinfectant soltuion.

If you really have no other options (not eating vegetables isn't a good option either), then aside from jim's suggestions of washing the vegetables thoroughly and cooking the ones you can cook, one thing he didn't suggest that can help if you suspect unsanitary handling is to eat the food the same day you buy it (after washing and/or cooking). If there are bacteria on the foods, they will continue to grow the longer the food sits, so what might not be enough to make you sick the first day it's picked may grow to be enough to make you sick within a few days.

And remember that any bacteria on the foods you buy can be transferred to your work surfaces, so always clean your work area thoroughly after each food is prepared, or if you put unwashed food on it, before putting it back on it after it has been washed.

Freezing will slow bacterial growth, so if it's not possible to buy fresh and you need to store it, then it's better to wash it first, then freeze it for storage. For most vegetables that can tolerate freezing, you can also blanch it before freezing, which means dropping them into boiling water for just a few minutes. Not long enough to fully cook them, but long enough to kill off surface bacteria before freezing. Finish cooking the food when you defrost it.

Thank you, could that kill the parasites and parasites' eggs anyway ?

Freezing would kill tropical parasites, probably. Refrigerator no - no guarantee of that happening.

I thought the low temperature could destroy the eggs and most parasites' living system... Since they need air and some kind of food to grow.

Plus, I completely agree with what you too said, I haven't there been yet any reports found thus far on this kind of parasite freeze anyaway...

Even though you're original question has been answered, here's some more useful information about how bacteria can cause food poisoning:

If food is left sitting at room temperature for sufficient time, it can give you food poisoning even if it is heated sufficiently to kill all the bacteria in it. This happens because some bacteria secrete toxins as they're growing. Even after their death, the toxins persist. If the toxin is heat stable, it can cause food poisoning.

Jekertee said:
I thought the low temperature could destroy the eggs and most parasites' living system... Since they need air and some kind of food to grow.

Plus, I completely agree with what you too said, I haven't there been yet any reports found thus far on this kind of parasite freeze anyaway...

Unless it is performed in a very special way in a lab, freezing generally destroys eukaryotic cells. So freezing should kill what most people refer to as "parasites" such as the agent of malaria (a protozoa) or anything that lays an egg.

1. Do all bacteria die out in the same way?

No, all bacteria do not die out in the same way. There are various factors that can affect the survival of bacteria, such as environmental conditions, presence of antibiotics, and competition with other bacteria. Some bacteria may die out due to lack of nutrients, while others may be killed by antibiotics.

2. Can bacteria become immune to death?

No, bacteria cannot become immune to death. While they can develop resistance to certain antibiotics or adapt to survive in harsh environments, all bacteria will eventually die due to natural causes or external factors.

3. What causes bacteria to die out?

Bacteria can die out due to a variety of reasons, including lack of nutrients, exposure to antibiotics or other harmful substances, and competition with other bacteria for resources. Additionally, bacteria have a limited lifespan and will eventually die of old age.

4. Can bacteria die out entirely?

No, bacteria cannot die out entirely. They are extremely resilient and can survive in a variety of environments, making it nearly impossible for all bacteria to die out completely. However, certain species of bacteria may become extinct due to changes in their environment or other factors.

5. How long does it take for bacteria to die out?

The time it takes for bacteria to die out can vary greatly depending on the specific bacteria and the conditions they are exposed to. Some bacteria can die within a few hours or days, while others can survive for months or even years in unfavorable conditions.