Ideas to extend my coursework?

In summary, the speaker is working on a coursework project on standing waves, specifically on a vibrating wire with a weight attached to one end and fixed to a pulley. They have collected data for different types of wire at different tensions and plan to use it to verify an equation. They are looking for suggestions on how to extend the experiment, possibly involving musical instruments and materials. They also mention the need for a microphone and a math analysis program.
Faloren
Ideas to extend my coursework? (Standing Waves)

Homework Statement

I'm doing some coursework for school at the moment, and my chosen topic (because it was fun first time round) is standing waves on some kind of wire/string - ie vibration generator, wire and fixed end (ie pulley) with mass dangling off the end to produce tension.

Homework Equations

[tex]v = \sqrt{T/ \mu}[/tex]

Basically, at the moment I've got data for a few different types of wire, held at different tensions. The data is harmonic frequencies - ie watching the string until a standing wave is produced, noting the frequency as the signal generator shows, etc. The plan is to the use the data to verify the equation above (substituting v for [tex]f\lambda[/tex]).

This is all well and good, but could you possibly suggest a way of extending the experiment - say something to do with musical instruments "what material would be most suitable for such and such a stringed instrument's X string?" or whatever would work :)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have a good microphone and some sort of math analysis program that can do Fast Fourier Transforms?

There are a few different ways you could extend your coursework on standing waves. One idea could be to investigate the effect of changing the length or thickness of the string on the harmonic frequencies. You could also explore the relationship between the tension and frequency, and see if there is a specific tension that produces the most stable standing wave.

Another idea could be to compare the harmonic frequencies of different types of strings, such as nylon, steel, or gut strings. This could tie into your suggestion about exploring the suitability of different materials for stringed instruments.

You could also look into the concept of overtones and how they relate to standing waves. This could involve experimenting with different lengths of string and observing how the number of nodes and antinodes changes with each overtone.

Additionally, you could investigate the effects of damping on standing waves. This could involve adding a dampening material to the string and observing how it affects the frequency and stability of the standing wave.

Overall, there are many different directions you could take your coursework on standing waves. It may be helpful to do some background research on the topic and see what other experiments have been done in this area to get more ideas. Good luck with your coursework!

1. What are some ways to extend my coursework ideas?

There are several ways to extend your coursework ideas. One way is to research related topics or concepts and incorporate them into your coursework. Another way is to seek feedback from your instructor or peers and use their suggestions to expand your ideas. Additionally, you can explore real-world applications of your coursework and propose potential solutions or improvements.

2. How can I make my coursework more original and unique?

To make your coursework more original and unique, you can conduct thorough research and incorporate your own insights and perspectives. You can also look for gaps or limitations in existing literature and propose new ideas or approaches to address them. Another way is to incorporate interdisciplinary perspectives or explore unconventional angles to your coursework topic.

3. Is it okay to change my coursework topic or direction halfway through the course?

It is generally not recommended to change your coursework topic or direction halfway through the course, as it can disrupt your progress and cause confusion. However, if you have a valid reason and have discussed it with your instructor, it may be possible to make changes. It is important to consider the time and resources required for the new topic and ensure that it aligns with the course objectives.

4. How can I ensure that my extended ideas are relevant and applicable to my coursework?

To ensure that your extended ideas are relevant and applicable to your coursework, it is important to constantly refer back to the course objectives and learning outcomes. You can also seek feedback from your instructor or peers to ensure that your ideas align with the course requirements. Additionally, conducting thorough research and including supporting evidence can strengthen the relevance of your extended ideas.

5. Are there any restrictions on the types of ideas I can incorporate into my coursework?

It depends on the specific requirements and guidelines for your coursework. Some courses may have limitations on the types of ideas or sources that can be used, while others may encourage creativity and innovation. It is important to clarify any restrictions or guidelines with your instructor before incorporating new ideas into your coursework.