Poisson's equation and Green's functions

• Thread starter jmb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, the contradiction is that when trying to solve for the general integral solution to Poisson's equation, I reach the following contradiction: when I take the Laplacian (or the divergence in the case of the electric field solution) of either of the above I get zero instead of -\frac{\rho}{\epsilon_0}. What am I missing?
jmb
Trying to verify the general integral solution to Poisson's equation I reach the following contradiction, what am I missing/doing wrong?

A solution [tex]u(\mathbf{x})[/tex] to Poisson's equation satisfies:

[tex]\nabla^2 u(\mathbf{x}) = - \frac{\rho(\mathbf{x})}{\epsilon_0}[/tex]

we can find such a solution in a given domain by evaluating:

[tex]u(\mathbf{x}) = \int_{V} \frac{\rho(\mathbf{x'})}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 |\mathbf{x}-\mathbf{x'}|} d\mathbf{x'}[/tex]

or equivalently (if we are only interested in the electric field):

[tex]\mathbf{E} = -\nabla u = - \int_{V} \frac{\rho(\mathbf{x'})}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{\mathbf{x}-\mathbf{x'}}{|\mathbf{x}-\mathbf{x'}|^3} d\mathbf{x'}[/tex]

We can think of these solutions as either the Green's function solution or, physically, as the convolution of the point source solution with the source density [tex]\rho(\mathbf{x})[/tex].

However if I take the Laplacian (or the divergence in the case of the electric field solution) of either of the above I get zero instead of [tex]-\frac{\rho}{\epsilon_0}[/tex]. What am I missing??

To evaluate the Laplacian/divergence of the above I make use of the fact that [tex]\mathbf{x'}[/tex] is a 'dummy variable', which allows me to switch the order of integration and differentiation when applying [tex]\nabla^2[/tex] to the integral on the RHS and also means the components of [tex]\mathbf{x'}[/tex] all have derivative zero. With these assumptions the operation is fairly straightforward to carry out, but I have anyway verified my answer with Mathematica.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not so. You should take the Laplacian with respect to x (after all you are calculating [tex]\nabla^2{u(x)}[/tex]). Since
[tex]\nabla^2 \frac{1}{|x-x'|}=\delta(x-x')[/tex]
you get the right result from the integration.
This expression is derived in many places:
Jackson, Classical Electrodynamics, 2nd ed., Eq. (1.31)
Arfken, Math Methods for Physicists, 2nd ed., sect. 1.15
to give two examples.

Last edited:
Thanks marcusl.

Yes I was taking the derivative wrt x (hence the derivatives of all components of x' being zero). But I was erroneously evaluating the Laplacian of [tex]\frac{1}{|x-x'|}[/tex] as zero.

I've since found references to the result you quote, but they all start by searching for the Green's function [tex]G[/tex] that satisfies [tex]\nabla^2 G = \delta(x-x')[/tex] and then deducing it to be the above... out of interest do you know of any way to show it starting from the other end --- i.e. directly differentiating [tex]\frac{1}{|x-x'|}[/tex] and showing its Laplacian to be the delta function? Or do the references you quote do it that way?

I'll look them up when I get the chance. Thanks again.

Yes, Jackson shows it explicitly. And, now that I'm looking at his formula instead of relying on memory, I see I forgot the constant
[tex]\nabla^2 \frac{1}{|x-x'|}=-4\pi \delta(x-x')[/tex]

marcusl said:
Yes, Jackson shows it explicitly. And, now that I'm looking at his formula instead of relying on memory, I see I forgot the constant
[tex]\nabla^2 \frac{1}{|x-x'|}=-4\pi \delta(x-x')[/tex]

In my 2nd edition, Jackson says on p.40 :" since [itex]\nabla^{2}(1/r) = 0[/itex] for [itex]r \neq 0[/itex] and its volume integral is [itex]-4\pi[/itex], we can write the formal equation, [itex]\nabla^{2}(1/r) = -4\pi \delta^{3}(x)[/itex]..."

In exam, if you reproduce "Jackson's proof", I give you 2 marks out of 10! You would gain the remaining 8 marks, if you prove the underlined sentence in Jackson's statement. I can tell you, it is a tricky one, and Jackson doesn't do it!

regards

sam

Last edited:
OK samalkhaiat I'll have a shot at your "remaining 8 marks", let me know if I'm missing something!

From the divergence theorem we have,

[tex]I = \int_{V} \nabla^2 (1/r) dV = \int_{S} \nabla (1/r) \cdot \mathbf{dS}[/tex]

Since the RHS is a surface integral we don't need to worry about evaluating [tex]\nabla (1/r)[/tex] at the origin and so, choosing V as a sphere centred on the origin, we can straightforwardly write the surface integral as:

[tex]I = \int_{0}^{2\pi} \int_{0}^{\pi} \frac{\partial}{\partial r} \left(\frac{1}{r}\right) r^2 \sin{\theta} \; d\theta \; d\phi = -4\pi[/tex]

(since [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial r} \left(\frac{1}{r}\right) = -\frac{1}{r^2}[/tex]) as required.

Jackson has similar expressions on p. 39 (he calls the integral C instead of I).

jmb said:
OK samalkhaiat I'll have a shot at your "remaining 8 marks", let me know if I'm missing something!

From the divergence theorem we have,

[tex]I = \int_{V} \nabla^2 (1/r) dV = \int_{S} \nabla (1/r) \cdot \mathbf{dS}[/tex]

Since the RHS is a surface integral we don't need to worry about evaluating [tex]\nabla (1/r)[/tex] at the origin and so, choosing V as a sphere centred on the origin, we can straightforwardly write the surface integral as:

[tex]I = \int_{0}^{2\pi} \int_{0}^{\pi} \frac{\partial}{\partial r} \left(\frac{1}{r}\right) r^2 \sin{\theta} \; d\theta \; d\phi = -4\pi[/tex]

(since [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial r} \left(\frac{1}{r}\right) = -\frac{1}{r^2}[/tex]) as required.

For this, I give you 3 marks out of the 8! Your next step is to show that the result [itex]-4\pi[/itex] holds true for ANY surfase S bounding V (not just spherical). Then and only then you can earn the remaining marks! Have a go at it and let me know.

regards

sam

samalkhaiat said:
jmb said:
For this, I give you 3 marks out of the 8! Your next step is to show that the result [itex]-4\pi[/itex] holds true for ANY surfase S bounding V (not just spherical). Then and only then you can earn the remaining marks! Have a go at it and let me know.

regards

sam

Doesn't it just follow on from the properties of [tex]\nabla^2(1/r)[/tex]?

We already know that [tex]\nabla^2(1/r)[/tex] is zero everywhere except [tex]r=0[/tex], thus any volume V (enclosed by some surface S) which encloses [tex]r=0[/tex] will produce the same value for the integral, regardless of its shape, since the integrand gives no contribution to the integral at any other location. Equally any volume not enclosing [tex]r=0[/tex] will give zero when integrated. Maybe I'm missing a subtlety?

jmb said:
samalkhaiat said:
We already know that [tex]\nabla^2(1/r)[/tex] is zero everywhere except [tex]r=0[/tex], thus any volume V (enclosed by some surface S) which encloses [tex]r=0[/tex] will produce the same value for the integral, regardless of its shape, since the integrand gives no contribution to the integral at any other location. Equally any volume not enclosing [tex]r=0[/tex] will give zero when integrated. Maybe I'm missing a subtlety?

By stating this, you gain the remaining marks. The trick is to surround the point x = 0 by small enough sphere and do the integration in the bounded region [itex]x \neq 0[/itex]:

Let [itex]\Sigma[/itex] be a surface bounding a region V containing the orign, and let [itex]\sigma[/itex] be a small spherical surface enclosing the point x = 0. Therefore, we have [itex]x \neq 0[/itex] everywhere in the region U bounded by [itex]\Sigma + \sigma[/itex], i.e.,

[tex]\int_{U} \nabla^{2}|\frac{1}{x}| \ d^{3}x = 0 = \int_{\Sigma + \sigma} \vec{\nabla}|\frac{1}{x}| \ . \ d\vec{S}[/tex]

From this it follows that the integral over the whole region V is

[tex]\int_{V} \nabla^{2}|\frac{1}{x}| \ d^{3}x = \int_{\Sigma} \vec{\nabla}|\frac{1}{x}| \ . \ d\vec{S} = - \int_{\sigma} \vec{\nabla}|\frac{1}{x}| \ . \ d\vec{S}[/tex]

Or,

[tex]\int_{V} \nabla^{2}|\frac{1}{x}| \ d^{3}x = \int_{\sigma} \frac{1}{|x|^{2}} \left( \hat{x}. \hat{n}_{\sigma} \right) dS[/tex]

where [itex]\hat{x}[/itex] is the unit vector along x and [itex]\hat{n}_{\sigma}[/itex] is the unit OUTWARD normal at dS of [itex]\sigma[/itex];

[tex]\hat{x} . \hat{n}_{\sigma} = -1[/tex]

Thus

[tex]\int_{V} \nabla^{2}|1/x| \ d^{3}x = - \frac{1}{R^{2}} \int_{\sigma} dS = -4\pi[/tex]

regards

sam

Last edited:
Cool. Many thanks again to both marcusl and samalkhaiat for your help!

1. What is Poisson's equation?

Poisson's equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the potential field and the distribution of electric charges in a given region. It is a partial differential equation that is widely used in physics and engineering to solve problems related to electrostatics and electromagnetism.

2. What are Green's functions?

Green's functions are mathematical tools used to solve inhomogeneous differential equations by reducing them to a set of simpler, homogeneous equations. They are named after the mathematician George Green and are commonly used in solving problems related to Poisson's equation.

3. How are Poisson's equation and Green's functions related?

Poisson's equation and Green's functions are closely related because Green's functions can be used to find the solution to Poisson's equation. The Green's function for a given system is the solution to Poisson's equation with a point source at the desired location.

4. What are some applications of Poisson's equation and Green's functions?

Poisson's equation and Green's functions have a wide range of applications in physics and engineering. They are commonly used in electrostatics and electromagnetism to solve problems related to electric fields and potentials. They are also used in fluid mechanics, heat transfer, and quantum mechanics.

5. How is Poisson's equation solved using Green's functions?

To solve Poisson's equation using Green's functions, the following steps are typically followed:

1. Identify the source and boundary conditions of the problem.
  2. Write Poisson's equation in its general form.
  3. Use Green's function to find the solution to the homogeneous equation.
  4. Apply the boundary conditions to determine the coefficients of the solution.
  5. Combine the solution to the homogeneous equation with the particular solution obtained from Green's function to get the final solution to Poisson's equation.