Planetary and atomic systems in N dimensions

In summary, the papers discuss the existence of stable atomic and planetary systems for d greater than 3. They also discuss the need for free particles like electrons to move far away from atoms for conductivity and to have ions. However, they do not discuss the existence of N-dimensional spheres for d less than 3.
black_squirrel

Homework Statement

Suppose that a human head is a sphere with the bone thickness 10% of the radius of the
head. Find the fraction of the volume of the head occupied by the brain. Make a similar estimate (forget about factors of pi) in the N-dimensional space (d = N) in the limit N -> infinity.

For the existence of life of our type we must have atomic and planetary systems. Do stable atomic and planetary systems exist for d > 3? We also need to have free particles like electrons moving far away from atoms (for conductivity, and to have ions). Can we have them for d < 3?

The Attempt at a Solution

finding fraction of volume is simple but I don't know how you'd go about making an estimate in the N-dimensional space. would it just be r^N instead of r^3 in the volume?

For the second part, I'm not even sure what the question is trying to get at. I was thinking maybe Gauss law could be used to say that the field of charge is inversely proportional to the area of N-1 dimensional sphere surrounding it. Still that doesn't take me anywhere...any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
1 dimention: a line [tex]x[/tex]
2 dimensions: a square [tex]x^2[/tex]
3 dimensions: a cube [tex]x^3[/tex]
N dimentions: ? [tex]x^N[/tex]

robphy said:
Check out:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=809880#post809880
and
(if you have JSTOR access)
http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0080-4614(19831220)310%3A1512%3C337%3AD%3E2.0.CO%3B2-2

wow those are great papers but I'm having a bit of trouble following the math/physics of the second paper and the first one just kind of states Ehrenfest's findings and doesn't explain how he came at those conclusions. I'd appreciate it if you could explain it in a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is meant by "N dimensions" in planetary and atomic systems?

"N dimensions" refers to the number of coordinates needed to describe a specific system. In the context of planetary and atomic systems, it refers to the number of dimensions (such as length, width, and height) needed to accurately describe the position and movement of particles within the system.

2. How does the number of dimensions affect the behavior of planetary and atomic systems?

The behavior of a system can vary depending on the number of dimensions it operates in. In N-dimensional systems, there are more possible states and interactions between particles, resulting in a more complex and dynamic system.

3. Are there any real-world examples of planetary and atomic systems in N dimensions?

Yes, our universe is believed to operate in at least four dimensions (three spatial dimensions and one time dimension). There are also theories that suggest the existence of additional dimensions beyond these four, which could affect the behavior of planetary and atomic systems.

4. How do scientists study and understand N-dimensional systems?

Scientists use mathematical models and simulations to study and understand N-dimensional systems. These models and simulations allow them to predict and analyze the behavior of these complex systems, helping to further our understanding of the universe.

5. Are there any practical applications of studying N-dimensional systems in planetary and atomic systems?

Studying N-dimensional systems can have practical applications in fields such as physics, chemistry, and astronomy. Understanding the behavior of these systems can help us develop new technologies and improve our understanding of the universe and its origins.