Lienard-wichert potentials

• Thread starter duck_21
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Potentials
In summary, when calculating the lienard-wichert vector potential, it's important to double-check calculations, carefully examine assumptions and definitions, and seek input from others to ensure accuracy and consistency.
duck_21

Homework Statement

I want to calculate the lienard-wichert vector potential, based on the retarded potential expression given in Heald-Marion (classical electromagnetic radiation).

Homework Equations

I get: A=v[tex]\Phi[/tex], where [tex]\Phi[/tex] is the lienard-wichert scalar potential and v is the charge velocity. I am missing a factor of 1/c. I think I'm probably making a stupid mistake somewhere in there, the problem looks really simple. I might be making the wrong variable change or something.

The Attempt at a Solution

I get: A=v[tex]\Phi[/tex], where [tex]\Phi[/tex] is the scalar potential.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

I would first start by double-checking my calculations to see if I made any mistakes. It's always possible to overlook something, especially when dealing with complex equations. I would also recommend checking the units to make sure they are consistent.

If everything checks out and the factor of 1/c is still missing, there could be a few potential explanations. One possibility is that the equation in the Heald-Marion textbook is missing the 1/c term, in which case it would be worth reaching out to the authors or checking other sources for confirmation.

Another possibility is that the equation in the textbook is in a different form than the one you are using. It's always important to carefully examine the assumptions and definitions used in a particular equation or formula. For example, the 1/c term could be included in a different term or constant in the equation.

If all else fails, it's always a good idea to consult with colleagues or other experts in the field to get their insights and perspectives on the problem. Sometimes a fresh pair of eyes can help spot a mistake or offer a different approach to solving the problem.

What are Lienard-Wiechert potentials?

Lienard-Wiechert potentials are a set of mathematical equations used to describe the electromagnetic fields and potentials generated by a moving charged particle. They take into account both the particle's velocity and acceleration, and are used in classical electrodynamics to calculate the electric and magnetic fields at any point in space.

How are Lienard-Wiechert potentials derived?

The Lienard-Wiechert potentials are derived from Maxwell's equations, which describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. They are a solution to the wave equation, which describes how electromagnetic fields propagate through space.

What is the significance of Lienard-Wiechert potentials in physics?

Lienard-Wiechert potentials are important in classical electrodynamics as they allow us to accurately describe and calculate the electric and magnetic fields of a moving charged particle. They are also used in relativistic mechanics to describe the behavior of charged particles traveling at high speeds.

What are the limitations of Lienard-Wiechert potentials?

One limitation of Lienard-Wiechert potentials is that they only apply to point charges, and cannot accurately describe the fields of extended objects. They also do not take into account quantum effects, and are therefore not applicable in the realm of quantum mechanics.

How are Lienard-Wiechert potentials used in practical applications?

Lienard-Wiechert potentials are used in a variety of practical applications, such as in particle accelerators, antennas, and radar systems. They are also used in simulations and computer models to study the behavior of charged particles in different environments.