Mechanics Book Recommendations for Product Design Students

In summary, the student is struggling with their mechanics class and is looking for a new textbook to help them catch up. They have been recommended a book but find it dull and outdated. They are specifically learning about friction, turning forces, and projectiles in their product design course and need a book that covers more advanced material as well. They ask for recommendations on the Physics Forums textbook subforum but are advised to search for similar threads first.
Chantry09

Homework Statement

Im having a hard time in my mechanics class at my course. The teacher has recommended "Applied Mechanics" but the book looks incredibly dull and old fashioned. I am looking to buy another mechanics book.

Im doing product design and at the moment we are learning about friction of a block on a slope, turning forces of cogs, projectiles etc. I think its A level mechanics, but i didnt do maths at A level, so i need to catch up. However later on in the course it gets harder so i need a book which can teach me that also.

Does anyone have any recomendations?

Thanks for any help you can give,

James

Physics news on Phys.org
Ah sorry about that i didnt see it. Is anyone able to suggest a good one?

Spadez said:
Ah sorry about that i didnt see it. Is anyone able to suggest a good one?
Try the search, there are many threads similar to yours.

I did search, i couldn't find anything. A lot of them seem to be dealing with a different side of mechanics than i am learning, or seem even more plain than the one i have been recommened to buy.

1. What is the best mechanics book for beginners?

The best mechanics book for beginners is "Introduction to Classical Mechanics" by David Morin. It covers all the basic principles of mechanics in a clear and easy to understand manner.

2. Do you have any recommendations for advanced mechanics books?

For advanced mechanics, "Classical Mechanics" by Herbert Goldstein is a highly recommended book. It covers a wide range of topics and is used in many graduate level courses.

3. Are there any mechanics books that focus on specific topics or applications?

Yes, there are many mechanics books that focus on specific topics such as fluid mechanics, solid mechanics, or biomechanics. Some popular options include "Fluid Mechanics" by Frank White and "Mechanics of Materials" by Russell Hibbeler.

4. Are there any mechanics books that are suitable for self-study?

Yes, there are many mechanics books that are suitable for self-study. Some good options include "Classical Mechanics: A Modern Perspective" by Vernon Barger and "Mechanics: An Intensive Course" by Masud Chaichian.

5. Can you recommend a mechanics book that includes practical examples and problems?

"Engineering Mechanics: Dynamics" by J. L. Meriam and L. G. Kraige is a great option for those looking for a mechanics book with practical examples and problems. It also includes a variety of real-world applications to help solidify understanding of the concepts.