Infinite series- converges or not

In summary: Remember to substitute back for u when you're done.In summary, Tom is having trouble determining if two series converge or not. In the first series, he tried to use the integral test but struggled to integrate. He also asked for guidance on what he could compare the series to. In the second series, he also used the integral test and found that the integral approaches 0 as i approaches infinity, indicating convergence. However, Dick suggests using a different method as the series is telescoping. Tom also shares his attempt at using the integral test, but got stuck in an infinite loop.
asif zaidi
I have 2 questions I am having problems with.
The goal is to determine if the series converges or not.

Q1: Sum from(1 to inf) of (exp^i)/( (exp^2i) + 9)

I tried to do the integral test but I cannot seem to integrate. Any guides would be appreciated.

Also if I wanted to compare it what would I compare it to.

Q2: Sum from (2 to inf) of 1/( (i^2) - 1)

I did the integral test and came out to the following

integral of 1/i^2 -1 = 1/2 (ln(i-1) - ln(i+1))

So in looking at this as i approaches infinity, can I say that integral approaches 0 and therefore this series converges.

All help is appreciated.

Thanks

Asif

Physics news on Phys.org
There's an easy comparison for both of them. Q1) compare to exp(i)/exp(2i), Q2) compare to 2/(i^2).

asif zaidi said:
I have 2 questions I am having problems with.
The goal is to determine if the series converges or not.

Q1: Sum from(1 to inf) of (exp^i)/( (exp^2i) + 9)

I tried to do the integral test but I cannot seem to integrate. Any guides would be appreciated.

Also if I wanted to compare it what would I compare it to.

The integral test is indeed a good way to go. Can you show us how you tried to integrate it? Once you do that, I'll point you in the right direction.

Q2: Sum from (2 to inf) of 1/( (i^2) - 1)

I did the integral test and came out to the following

integral of 1/i^2 -1 = 1/2 (ln(i-1) - ln(i+1))

So in looking at this as i approaches infinity, can I say that integral approaches 0 and therefore this series converges.

The series does converge, but you can do better than the integral test. If you recognize that the series is telescoping, you can actually find its sum.

Dick: thanks for response. I will look at your way. Always good to learn new ways

Tom: This is how I did the integral test

Let u = exp^(2x) + 9
du/dx = 2exp^(2x)
This is where I got stuck. I thought once I do du/dx, I should get e^x in this equation but since I didn't I couldn't get anywhere.

So I tried by integration by parts and went into an infinite loop

a- let u = 1/( exp(2x) + 9)
b- du/dx = -2/(exp(2x +9)
c- let dv = exp^x dx
d- v = e^x

To integrate
uv - integral (v wrt dx)
integral (e^x/e^2x +9) = e^x/(e^2x + 9) +2 integral (e^x/e^2x +9)

This is where I got stuck.

Thanks

Asif

asif zaidi said:
Dick: thanks for response. I will look at your way. Always good to learn new ways

Tom: This is how I did the integral test

Let u = exp^(2x) + 9

You want to let u=exp(x) instead. You will end up with a rational function in u whose antiderivative you should recognize.

1. What is an infinite series and how is it defined?

An infinite series is a sum of an infinite number of terms. It is typically written in the form of ∑n=1 ∞ an, where n represents the term number and an represents the value of each term. The series is defined as the limit of the partial sums as n approaches infinity.

2. How do you determine if an infinite series converges or diverges?

The convergence or divergence of an infinite series can be determined by evaluating the limit of the partial sums. If this limit exists and is a finite number, the series is said to converge. If the limit does not exist or is infinite, the series is said to diverge.

3. What is the difference between absolute and conditional convergence?

Absolute convergence refers to a series that converges regardless of the order in which the terms are added. On the other hand, conditional convergence refers to a series that only converges when the terms are added in a specific order. This difference is important when dealing with series that have alternating positive and negative terms.

4. What are some common tests used to determine the convergence of an infinite series?

Some common tests used to determine the convergence of an infinite series include the comparison test, ratio test, root test, and integral test. These tests compare the given series to a known series or function and use the properties of limits to determine convergence or divergence.

5. Can a series that diverges to infinity still have a finite sum?

Yes, a series can diverge to infinity and still have a finite sum. This is known as an infinite sum. An example of this is the harmonic series, ∑n=1 ∞ 1/n, which diverges to infinity but has a finite sum of approximately 0.577.