Football related Projectile problem

• Thread starter Go Angels
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projectile
In summary: So in this situation, you'd use:R = (vi^2 sin 2theta)/gIn summary, the placekicker must kick the ball from a point 36.0 m (about 40 yards) from the goal, and half the crowd hopes the ball will clear the crossbar, which is 3.05 m high. When kicked, the ball leaves the ground with a speed of 20.0 m/s at an angle of 48.0° to the horizontal.
Go Angels

Homework Statement

A placekicker must kick a football from a point 36.0 m (about 40 yards) from the goal, and half the crowd hopes the ball will clear the crossbar, which is 3.05 m high. When kicked, the ball leaves the ground with a speed of 20.0 m/s at an angle of 48.0° to the horizontal.
(a) By how much does the ball clear or fall short of clearing or fall short of clearing the crossbar? (Enter a negative answer if it falls short.)

Homework Equations

Possibly:
vxi = vi cos theta
vyi = vi sin theta
change(y) = viy(t) + .5(a)(t)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

20 sin 48(t) - 4.9(t)^2
= 26.75-4.9(1.8)^2
change(y) = 26.75 - 15.88 =10.87

10.87-3.05 = 7.82 m. Which is the wrong answer.

Can someone please help. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by figuring out the time it takes for the ball to reach the goal. Hint: Consider the horizontal motion.

time = (vi sin theta) / g

Is that the correct equation?

So it's (20 sin 48) / 9.8 = 1.52

I plugged that in and obtained 8.21 m as my finals answer, which is incorrect. Can some please tell me what I did wrong?

No, that's not correct. Hint: The horizontal component of motion is unaccelerated. (Gravity only acts downward.)

What's the speed in the horizontal direction?

(20 cos 48) / 9.8?

Go Angels said:
(20 cos 48) / 9.8?
Why divide by 9.8? (Check your units.)

Opps, I thought I was still looking for time.

Why would I need to know the speed though, since the velocity is already given.

I basically just plug everything into the R = (vi^2 sin 2theta)/g equation right?

Go Angels said:
Opps, I thought I was still looking for time.
That's what we're heading towards calculating.

Why would I need to know the speed though, since the velocity is already given.
Then when I asked for the speed in the horizontal direction you should have answered without hesitation. :wink:

I basically just plug everything into the R = (vi^2 sin 2theta)/g equation right?
Nope. That's a range equation.

Start with what I suggested in post #2.

The Range equation only applies to situations when your initial and final y values are the same. In other words, y is unchanged.

1. What is a football related projectile problem?

A football related projectile problem is a physics problem that involves the motion of a football in a specific scenario, such as a player kicking a ball or a ball being thrown by a quarterback.

2. What factors affect the trajectory of a football?

The trajectory of a football is affected by several factors, including the initial velocity of the ball, the angle at which it is kicked or thrown, the air resistance, and the force of gravity.

3. How can we calculate the distance a football will travel?

The distance a football will travel can be calculated using the equation d = v0t + 1/2at^2, where d is the distance, v0 is the initial velocity, t is the time, and a is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. What is the optimal angle for kicking a football for maximum distance?

The optimal angle for kicking a football for maximum distance is around 45 degrees. This angle allows for the perfect balance between the horizontal and vertical components of the initial velocity, resulting in the longest possible distance.

5. How does air resistance affect the motion of a football?

Air resistance, also known as drag, acts against the motion of a football and can decrease its speed and distance traveled. It is affected by the shape and texture of the ball, as well as the density and humidity of the surrounding air.