Stoichiometry Problem: Finding Mass of Hydrogen Reacting with 50g Nitrogen

In summary: L/mol In summary, the question is asking for the number of grams of hydrogen needed to completely react with 50.0g of nitrogen in the given reaction. The solution involves calculating the molar ratio between nitrogen and hydrogen, taking into account the diatomic nature of nitrogen, and correcting an error in the reaction equation. The final answer is 32.14g of hydrogen. The discussion also includes a clarification about the molar volume of gases at standard temperature and pressure.
lolecules

Homework Statement

"How many grams of hydrogen are necessary to react completely with 50.0g of nitrogen in the below reaction?"

Homework Equations

N2+3H3 ---> 2NH3

The Attempt at a Solution

16.1g H?

Physics news on Phys.org
Show your work.

50gN/1 1molN/28gN 3molH/1mol N 3gH/1molH

lolecules said:
50gN/1 1molN/28gN 3molH/1mol N 3gH/1molH
Close enough, I didn't round off like you did.

I guess my only question is since N2 is diatomic, then the molar mass of the nitrogen goes from 14 to 28?

lolecules said:
I guess my only question is since N2 is diatomic, then the molar mass of the nitrogen goes from 14 to 28?
That's right.

3gH/1molH
Um, so would that also mean here the molar mass of should be changed to 6...so the answer would be 32.14g?

Dangit, after looking at your problem. I didn't even notice you messed up the reaction equation. It's Hydrogen gas, [tex]H_2[/tex], not [tex]H_3[/tex]. Fix that and it's solved.

Roco, are you slipping? :)

Sorry for bringing up a dead topic, but I didnt want to just start a new one for basically the same thing...I just wanted to ask...

5 L N2/1 1molN2/22.4L N2

That's how I began setting up a problem, but is 22.4 right? Should it be something different since Nitrogen is diatomic?

The volume of one mol of any gas at standard temp/pressure is 22.4 I don't care if it's gaseous Uranium.

1. What is stoichiometry?

Stoichiometry is the branch of chemistry that deals with the quantitative relationships between reactants and products in a chemical reaction. It involves using mathematical calculations to determine the amounts of substances involved in a chemical reaction.

2. Why is stoichiometry important?

Stoichiometry is important because it allows us to predict the amount of products that will be formed in a chemical reaction, based on the amounts of reactants present. This information is crucial for determining the efficiency of a reaction and for designing and optimizing chemical processes.

3. What are the key terms used in stoichiometry?

The key terms used in stoichiometry include reactants, products, coefficients, molar ratios, and limiting reactants. Reactants are the substances that are present at the beginning of a reaction, while products are the substances that are formed. Coefficients are the numbers that represent the relative amounts of each substance in a balanced chemical equation. Molar ratios are the ratios of the coefficients in a balanced chemical equation, and they are used to convert between different units of measurement. The limiting reactant is the substance that is completely used up in a reaction, limiting the amount of product that can be formed.

4. How do you solve a stoichiometry problem?

To solve a stoichiometry problem, you first need to write a balanced chemical equation for the reaction. Then, you can use the coefficients in the equation to calculate the amounts of substances involved. This is typically done using dimensional analysis, where you set up conversion factors to convert between different units of measurement. It is important to keep track of units throughout the calculation and to use the correct molar ratios to ensure an accurate answer.

5. What are some common applications of stoichiometry?

Stoichiometry has many real-world applications in fields such as chemistry, biology, and environmental science. It is used to determine the amount of reactants needed to produce a certain amount of product, to calculate the efficiency of a chemical reaction, and to design and optimize chemical processes. In biology, stoichiometry is used to study metabolic pathways and determine the amounts of substrates and products involved. In environmental science, it is used to understand and predict the effects of chemical reactions on the environment, such as acid rain formation.