Is Producing High Temperature, High Pressure Steam Safe for Experimental Use?

In summary, the individual is planning to conduct an experiment involving producing high temperature, high pressure steam on a 1/2 inch tube with a length of 1 meter. They will pump cold water into the tube and then heat it to 380C while intermittently opening a purge valve to prevent too much volume increase. They will use a pressure transducer and thermocouple to measure the steam. However, there are concerns about the safety of this experiment and it is advised to study up on the behavior of water in such conditions before attempting it. It is also noted that at the stated conditions, the steam will be above its critical point.
david2008
Hi there,
I have a safety question. I want to produce high temperature, high pressure steam. On a 1/2 inch tube, length is about 1 meter. Initially I put cold water in tube. Then pump it to 4000 psi. Now I will heat it to achieve about 380C. (in this process, I will open a purge valve many times to avoid volume increase too much). I will use pressure transducer and thermocouple to measure them.

Is this experiment safe?
If I can find some experimental data about this test, I may not to reproduce it. Can anyone give me some information about it?

Thanks.
David

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you have to ask if it is safe, then for you I would say no it is not safe.

Averagesupernova's advice sounds good.

No, it's not safe; you obviously don't have a clue what you're doing!

Agreed. About the only thing that would make it safe is multiple automatic safety relief valves. But before you even attempt such an experiment, you should study up on and learn how water is going to behave in such a situation. Get yourself a thermodynamics book and carefully read up on this. There will be chapters dedicated to it and tables of properties in the back. In fact, from the sound of it, all you need is steam tables - you don't need to do the experiment.

One important consideration - at the state you have defined, you are above the critical point for steam.

Last edited:

1. What is "A safety question for Steam"?

"A safety question for Steam" is a feature on the Steam platform that prompts users to answer a security question in order to verify their identity and protect their account from unauthorized access.

2. Why is "A safety question for Steam" important?

"A safety question for Steam" adds an extra layer of security to a user's account by requiring them to correctly answer a personal question that only they should know the answer to. This prevents hackers or other malicious individuals from gaining access to the account.

3. How do I set up "A safety question for Steam"?

To set up "A safety question for Steam", go to your account settings and click on the "Security" tab. From there, you can select a security question and provide an answer. Make sure to choose a question that is easy for you to remember but difficult for others to guess.

4. Can I change my "A safety question for Steam"?

Yes, you can change your "A safety question for Steam" at any time. Simply go to your account settings and click on the "Security" tab. From there, you can select a new question and provide a new answer.

5. What should I do if I forget my "A safety question for Steam" answer?

If you forget your "A safety question for Steam" answer, you can reset it by requesting a security code to be sent to your email associated with your account. Once you receive the code, you can use it to reset your security question and answer.