Fabry-Perot Cavity: Energy and Round Trip Phase Dynamics

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of a plane wave in an undamped Fabry-Perot cavity and the possibility of destructive interference. It is mentioned that in a lossless cavity, all incident radiation is reflected and none is transmitted or inside the cavity. However, in a lossy cavity, some energy is reflected, some is transmitted, and some is inside the cavity. This is consistent with the damping of the optical resonator and the broadening of resonance peaks. The speaker has found their own answer to their question by looking at the results of multiple-beam interference in a thin dielectric film.
cepheid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi,

I know this is dumb question, and I should be able to figure it out and move past it, but I can't. The optics book I have begins its treatment of Fabry-Perot cavities by considering the case of an undamped optical resonater (perfectly reflecting mirrors). Here's a quote from it:

In order for a plane wave to exist in the cavity, it must return to exactly the same phase after one round trip through the cavity. In this case, it will constructively interfere with itself. Otherwise, the phase will precess on each successive round trip, and eventually lead to destructive interterference.

If that occurs, what happened to the energy in the wave?

Physics news on Phys.org
I found my own answer to this question. Looking at the *results* of the treatment of multiple-beam interference within a thin dielectric film in Optics by Eugene Hecht, (which is not the same book as the one I was referring to in my first post), it turns out that the reflected intensity (the intensity of the light that ends up coming out of the same side of of the dielectric film as the incident light, after the multiple reflections occur within the film), is a maximum when the optical path difference in the cavity is a half-integer multiple of the wavelength (the condition for destructive interference and absolutely NO cavity resonance). This maximum reflected is given by

[tex](I_r)_{max} = I_i \frac{4r^2}{(1+r^2)} [/tex]​

where I_i is the incident intensity, and r is the amplitude reflection coefficient. If it's a lossless cavity, r = 1, and the reflected intensity is equal to the incident intensity. So just because destructive interference occurs in the cavity doesn't mean that energy disappeared. In the steady state, all of the incident radiation is reflected, and none is in the cavity or is transmitted out the other side.

Edit: For a lossy cavity, some is reflected, some is transmitted, and some is inside the cavity. This is consistent with damping of the optical resonator causing the resonance peaks to broaden, so that there is some non-zero intensity in the cavity even at wavelengths other than those of the Fabry-Perot modes. I hope you guys agree with my resolution of my problem.

Last edited:

Hi there,

That's actually a great question! In a Fabry-Perot cavity, the energy in the wave is conserved even if there is destructive interference. This is because the energy is still present in the form of electromagnetic fields, even if they cancel each other out. The energy is simply not being transmitted through the cavity, but it still exists within the cavity itself.

Think of it this way: when the waves constructively interfere, they add up and create a stronger wave with a larger amplitude. This leads to a higher energy within the cavity. However, when the waves destructively interfere, they cancel each other out and the energy is distributed evenly between the two waves. This results in a decrease in the overall energy within the cavity.

So, in short, the energy is still present in the cavity even if there is destructive interference. It's just not being transmitted through the cavity. I hope this helps clarify things for you!

1. What is a Fabry-Perot cavity?

A Fabry-Perot cavity is an optical resonator that consists of two parallel reflective surfaces, typically made of highly reflective materials such as mirrors. Light enters the cavity and bounces back and forth between the mirrors, resulting in multiple reflections. This creates a standing wave pattern and allows for the enhancement of certain wavelengths of light.

2. How does energy behave in a Fabry-Perot cavity?

In a Fabry-Perot cavity, the energy of light is conserved as it bounces back and forth between the mirrors. As the light reflects off the mirrors, some of its energy is transmitted through the cavity, while the rest is reflected back. This results in a continuous transfer of energy between the light and the cavity, leading to the formation of standing waves.

3. What is the round trip phase in a Fabry-Perot cavity?

The round trip phase in a Fabry-Perot cavity refers to the phase difference between the light that has made one complete round trip inside the cavity and the incident light. This phase difference is influenced by factors such as the cavity length, the refractive index of the medium, and the angle of incidence of the light.

4. How does the round trip phase affect the behavior of light in a Fabry-Perot cavity?

The round trip phase plays a crucial role in determining the resonance and transmission properties of a Fabry-Perot cavity. The phase difference between the incident light and the light that has made one round trip inside the cavity determines whether the light will be transmitted or reflected. This phenomenon is known as the phase shift and can be controlled by adjusting the cavity length or the angle of incidence of the light.

5. What are the applications of a Fabry-Perot cavity?

Fabry-Perot cavities have a wide range of applications in various fields such as telecommunications, optical sensing, and spectroscopy. They are used as optical filters, laser cavities, and in interferometric measurements. They are also essential in the development of high-precision optical instruments, such as spectrometers and laser frequency stabilizers.