Ionic equations and Spectator Ions

In summary, the conversation is discussing a chemical reaction between Pb(NO3)2 and H2SO4, which results in the formation of PbSO4 and HNO3. The speaker is unsure about how to balance the equation, but their teacher has advised them to balance at the end. They also question whether they can cross out certain molecules on the left and right sides.
amd123
This is my reaction
Pb(NO3)2(aq) + H2SO4(aq) → PbSO4(s) + HNO3(aq)
Pb + (NO3)2(aq) + H2 + SO4(aq) → PbSO4(s) + H + NO3(aq)

So far I've done that, and now I'm stuck I see h2 and h and NO3 2 molecules and on the left side i see only one NO3 molecule on the right, can I cross out both or do i have to balance right now? My teacher said you can balance at the end. Can i cross out one h on the left and the remaining on the right? What about NO3?

Physics news on Phys.org
bump?

amd123 said:
This is my reaction
Pb(NO3)2(aq) + H2SO4(aq) → PbSO4(s) + HNO3(aq)
Ok.
Pb + (NO3)2(aq) + H2 + SO4(aq) → PbSO4(s) + H + NO3(aq)
What is this? (NO3)2, SO4, NO3, don't exist free.

1. What is an ionic equation?

An ionic equation is a chemical equation that shows the dissociation of ionic compounds into their constituent ions in a solution.

2. How do you write an ionic equation?

To write an ionic equation, first write the balanced molecular equation for the reaction. Then, separate all ionic compounds into their individual ions and remove any spectator ions, which are ions that do not participate in the reaction. Finally, write the remaining ions as the ionic equation.

3. What are spectator ions?

Spectator ions are ions that are present in a reaction but do not participate in it. They remain in solution before and after the reaction and do not undergo any chemical changes. They can be removed from the ionic equation without affecting the overall reaction.

4. Why are spectator ions important in ionic equations?

Spectator ions play an important role in balancing ionic equations. They help to maintain the charge balance of the reaction and do not affect the overall outcome of the reaction. By removing spectator ions, the ionic equation becomes simpler and easier to understand.

5. How are spectator ions identified in a chemical reaction?

Spectator ions are identified by comparing the reactants and products in a chemical reaction. Ions that appear on both sides of the equation and do not undergo any changes are considered spectator ions. They can also be identified by their solubility in a solution or by using a solubility table.