Does the Alternating Series Converge?

In summary: So you can compare it to the series 1/k^2 which converges by p-series test.In summary, the sequence (k+4)/(k^2 + k) does not absolutely converge and must be tested for conditional convergence. Using the Alternating Series test, it can be shown that the series does converge to 0 as k goes to infinity. However, further testing is needed to determine if it conditionally converges. By dividing both the numerator and denominator by k^2, it can be determined that the limit of the sequence is 0 as k goes to infinity. However, it must also be shown that a_sub_(n+1) < a_sub_n in order to prove conditional convergence.
Heat
I need help identifying if it converges or diverges or conditionally converges.

[tex]\Sigma[/tex][tex](-1)^{k}[/tex][tex]\frac{(k+4)}{(k^{2}+k)}[/tex]

First I want to test for absolute convergence, and comparing this limit to 1/k I get that it diverges. Since it diverges, I need to test it now using the Alternating Series test, in which the limit is 0 and it converges. So my question is, does it conditionally converge?

Physics news on Phys.org
So your question is just whether the sequence (k+4)/(k2+ k) converges to 0 as k goes to infinity? Divide both numerator and denominator by k2. Now what happens as k goes to infinity?

yes from 0 to infinity.

it would be (1/k + 4/k)(1+1/k)...4/1 = 4...so?

Ok, you've established that it does not absolutely converge so you must test for conditional convergence, but your test is not comprehensive. Designate a_sub_n as (k+4)/(k^2 + k) and taking HallsofIvy's suggestion, we have lim(n -> +inf) of a_sub_n = lim(n -> +inf) of (1/k + 4/k^2)/(1 + 1/k), which tends to 0 because all the terms with k in the denominator go to 0. Now you have to show that a_sub_(n+1) < a_sub_n, and if this is true, then you can say that the series conditionally converges.

Heat said:
yes from 0 to infinity.

it would be (1/k + 4/k)(1+1/k)...4/1 = 4...so?

This is not correct. Note, that the 4 in the numerator comes as 4/k ...in fact it should be 1/k^2.

What is convergence and divergence?

Convergence and divergence are terms used to describe the behavior of mathematical sequences and series. Convergence refers to the tendency of a sequence or series to approach a specific value or limit as its terms progress. Divergence, on the other hand, refers to the tendency of a sequence or series to move away from a specific value or limit as its terms progress.

What is the difference between absolute and conditional convergence?

Absolute convergence and conditional convergence are two types of convergence that can occur in mathematical series. Absolute convergence refers to a series where the sum of the absolute values of its terms is finite. Conditional convergence, on the other hand, refers to a series where the sum of its terms is finite but the sum of the absolute values of its terms is infinite.

How can I determine if a series is convergent or divergent?

The convergence or divergence of a series can be determined by applying various tests, such as the ratio test, the root test, or the integral test. These tests compare the behavior of the terms in the series to known patterns of convergence and divergence and can help determine the behavior of the series as a whole.

What is the significance of convergence and divergence in real-world applications?

Convergence and divergence have important applications in various fields such as economics, physics, and engineering. For example, in economics, the concept of convergence is used to describe the tendency of economies to grow and develop in a similar manner. In physics, convergence and divergence are used to analyze the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. In engineering, these concepts are used to understand the behavior of complex systems and predict their performance.

What are some common misconceptions about convergence and divergence?

One common misconception is that a divergent series always tends to infinity. In fact, there are cases where a series can be divergent but still have a finite sum. Another misconception is that a series must have a limit in order to be convergent. However, there are cases where a series can be convergent but not have a specific limit value. Additionally, it is important to note that the convergence or divergence of a series does not necessarily indicate the behavior of its individual terms, as they may have different rates of convergence or divergence.