Seems I can't differentiate properly or I need some help with it.

In summary: So you split it up like this 4-x^2=a(4-x^2)+b and then plug in the values for a and b to get x^2=-(4-x^2)+8and that's the answer!
rock.freak667
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Part of a question here...

Show that

[tex]\frac{d}{dx} \left[ \frac{x}{(4-x^2)^n} \right ] = \frac{1-2n}{(4-x^2)^n} - \frac{8n}{(4-x^2)^{n+1}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}(\frac{u}{v}) = \frac{v\frac{du}{dx}-u\frac{dv}{dx}}{v^2} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So, using the quotient law I get

[tex] \frac{(4-x^2)^n \times 1 -(x) \times n(4-x^2)^{n-1} \times -2x}{(4-x^2)^{2n}}[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{1-2nx^2(4-x^2)^{-1}}{(4-x^2)^n}[/tex]

[tex] =\frac{1}{(4-x^2)^n} - \frac{2nx^2}{(4-x^2)^{n+1}}[/tex]

I seem to have the denominators correct but not the numerators. Did I do it wrong or are there more ways to simplify?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't get the result either... I get the same as you, only a + instead of a - between the fractions...

EDIT
Maple backs me up... According to maple the result is:
[tex]\frac{1}{(4-x^2)^n} + \frac{2nx^2}{(4-x^2)^{n+1}}[/tex]

And no matter what I do I cannot get it to simplify / expand / factor, whatever, into what you have to show... I don't think they are equal.

I checked it with Mathematica, Nick89 is correct. The thread starter is off by a sign but
[tex]
\frac{d}{dx} \left[ \frac{x}{(4-x^2)^n} \right ] = \frac{1-2n}{(4-x^2)^n} - \frac{8n}{(4-x^2)^{n+1}}
[/tex]
definitely doesn't hold.

If you are really feeling unconfident that you might be missing a simplification, try putting say x=0 and n=2 and comparing the results of the two. They are different, so your's in right (once you fix that sign error).

Well I guess I should post the entire question:

[tex]I_n =\int _{0} ^{1} \frac{1}{4-x^2}[/tex]

for n=1,2,3,...
Verify that

[tex]
\frac{d}{dx} \left[ \frac{x}{(4-x^2)^n} \right ] = \frac{1-2n}{(4-x^2)^n} - \frac{8n}{(4-x^2)^{n+1}}[/tex]

and hence prove that

[tex]8I_{n+1}=(2n-1)I_n +\frac{1}{3^n}[/tex]EDIT: Ahh...-ve*-ve=+ve...Will fix now... but the question being wrong is really odd.

Nick89 said:
[tex]\frac{1}{(4-x^2)^n} + \frac{2nx^2}{(4-x^2)^{n+1}}[/tex]

Rockfreak, look at this, and now take the [tex]x^2[/tex] term on the numerator of the second term and put in

[tex]x^2=-(4-x^2)+4[/tex]

and simplify the result.

DavidWhitbeck said:
Rockfreak, look at this, and now take the [tex]x^2[/tex] term on the numerator of the second term and put in

[tex]x^2=-(4-x^2)+4[/tex]

and simplify the result.

:frown: I hate questions where you always need to remember that 1-1=0

rock.freak667 said:
:frown: I hate questions where you always need to remember that 1-1=0

My students absolutely hated those 1/1=1 and 1-1=0 tricks you use to simplify algebraic expressions! There is reason behind them of course, but if done with no explanation they look like magic.

In this one you know that you want to have 4-x^2 on the top of the 2nd term to split it up into the two types of terms that appear in the answer. So you're like I need to express the numerator [tex]x^2[/tex] in the form [tex]a(4-x^2)+b[/tex] for some numbers a and b to get the expression into the form that I want.

1. Why is it important to be able to differentiate properly?

Differentiation is a fundamental concept in science, particularly in fields such as mathematics, physics, and chemistry. It allows us to understand the rate of change of a quantity and make predictions based on that. Without proper differentiation, it can be challenging to analyze and interpret data accurately, hindering scientific progress.

2. What are some common difficulties in differentiating?

There can be various challenges in differentiating, including understanding the fundamental principles, applying the correct formulas, and interpreting the results accurately. Additionally, the complexity of the function being differentiated and the proficiency in mathematical skills can also affect the ability to differentiate properly.

3. How can I improve my skills in differentiation?

Like any other skill, differentiation also requires practice and understanding. It can be helpful to review the basic principles and formulas, and then gradually work on more complex problems. Seeking help from a tutor or utilizing online resources can also be beneficial in improving differentiation skills.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid while differentiating?

One of the most common mistakes is forgetting to use the chain rule when differentiating composite functions. Additionally, not understanding the difference between the derivative and the integral can also lead to errors. It is essential to carefully follow the rules and formulas and double-check the solutions for accuracy.

5. How can I know if I am differentiating correctly?

One way to ensure proper differentiation is to check the solution with a calculator or online tool. Additionally, it is essential to understand the concepts and formulas and be able to explain the steps taken to differentiate a function. Asking for feedback from a teacher or peer can also help in identifying any mistakes and improving overall understanding.