Origin of terminology (baryon number, hypercharge, strangeness)

In summary, the conversation discusses the origins of terms used in particle physics, specifically baryon number, hypercharge, and strangeness. While some sources cite a 1953 article by Gell-Mann as the origin of strangeness, it is not mentioned in the article itself. The group also discusses the possible origins of baryon number and hypercharge, with some speculating that they were introduced by Heisenberg. Gell-Mann is credited with coining the term strangeness in a lecture, and the group also mentions other early terms used to describe these particles.
bdeen
I'm doing some research on the history of particle physics from 1947-1964, and have been completely unable to find an answer to this question -- does anyone know when and by whom terms such as baryon number and hypercharge were introduced?

A related question...Several of my sources cite a 1953 article by Gell-Mann ("Isospin and New Unstable Particles," Physical Review 92 p. 833) as the origin of the term "strangeness." But the term is never mentioned in this article, and it would seem that the article doesn't regard strangeness at all, unless I am confused. Any thoughts about this?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have no references to any of this, but just my best guess.

I am pretty sure GellMann did indeed coin the word strangeness.
I want to say Hypercharge comes from Heisenberg.

Baryon number... Wow, that would be hard b/c its such obvious terminology. No clue.

Baryon came from the Greek for heavy. Baryon number was a reasonable extension.
Gell Mann possibly coined strangeness in a lecture. He liked to introduce colorful terminology that way. The early terminology for the new particles was "strange", but also "curious".
Strange won out.

1. What is the baryon number and why is it important?

The baryon number is a quantum number that represents the number of baryons (such as protons and neutrons) in a system. It is important because it is conserved in all interactions, meaning the total baryon number before and after a reaction must be the same. This helps us understand and predict the behavior of particles in different interactions.

2. What is hypercharge and how is it related to other quantum numbers?

Hypercharge is another quantum number that represents the overall charge of a particle. It is related to the baryon number and strangeness through a mathematical relationship known as the Gell-Mann-Nishijima formula. Hypercharge also helps us classify particles into different groups based on their properties.

3. Where does the term "strangeness" come from in particle physics?

The term "strangeness" was originally coined by physicist Murray Gell-Mann in the 1950s. He used it to describe a property of particles that seemed to have unusually long lifetimes compared to other particles. This property was later identified as the strangeness quantum number, which helps us understand the behavior of particles containing strange quarks.

4. How do scientists determine the values of baryon number, hypercharge, and strangeness for particles?

Scientists use mathematical models and experimental data to determine the values of these quantum numbers for different particles. The values are based on characteristics of the particles, such as their mass, charge, and decay patterns. These values are then used to classify particles and understand their behavior in different interactions.

5. Can baryon number, hypercharge, and strangeness change over time?

Yes, these quantum numbers can change in certain interactions and processes. Baryon number can change in weak interactions, hypercharge can change through electromagnetic interactions, and strangeness can change through the strong nuclear force. However, the total sum of these quantum numbers must remain conserved in all interactions.