Solving Fabry-Perot Problem: Increase L by \lambda/2 to Scan FSR

• Thread starter tuanle007
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fabry-perot
In summary, the problem involves increasing the distance between two mirrors of a Fabry-Perot cavity by a distance of one half of the wavelength to scan the transmission peak over a range of one free spectral range. The equation D=2L*sqrt(1+v^2/c^2) is used to solve this problem, and the FSR can be found by looking for the phrase "free spectral range" and using a graph of the transmission through a Fabry-Perot etalon.
tuanle007

Homework Statement

Show that it is only necessary to increase the distance L between two mirrors of a Fabry-Perot cavity by a distance [tex]\lambda[/tex]/2 to scan the transmission peak over a range of one FSR

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

D=2L*sqrt(1+v^2/c^2)

Physics news on Phys.org
I've started guiding you through the solution of your other posted problem. This attempt is really lame. Start by looking in your book and telling me what the FSR is.

my book doesn't have FSR anywhere.
I have never seen this type of problem.
can you please guide me

Try looking for for the phrase free spectral range. Then look for a graph of the transmission through a Fabry Perot etalon, can you tell me how to draw the FSR on this graph?

1. What is the Fabry-Perot problem and why is it important to solve?

The Fabry-Perot problem is a phenomenon in optics where a narrow beam of light is reflected back and forth between two parallel mirrors, creating multiple reflections and interference patterns. It is important to solve because it affects the accuracy and resolution of measurements in various optical instruments.

2. How does increasing L by λ/2 help to scan the FSR of a Fabry-Perot interferometer?

By increasing the distance between the two mirrors by half of the wavelength (λ/2), the reflected light undergoes a phase shift of π, which allows for the detection of the full free spectral range (FSR) of the Fabry-Perot interferometer. This is because the phase difference between the reflected beams at the two mirrors is now exactly one wavelength, allowing for constructive interference.

3. Can the Fabry-Perot problem be solved without increasing L by λ/2?

Yes, there are other methods to solve the Fabry-Perot problem, such as using anti-reflection coatings on the mirrors or using a Fabry-Perot etalon with curved mirrors. However, increasing L by λ/2 is a simple and effective solution.

4. Are there any limitations to increasing L by λ/2 to scan FSR?

One limitation is that it only works for Fabry-Perot interferometers with low finesse, as higher finesse interferometers would require a larger increase in L to achieve the same phase shift of π. Additionally, this method may not be suitable for interferometers with very small mirror separation distances.

5. What other applications can benefit from solving the Fabry-Perot problem?

The Fabry-Perot problem is relevant in a variety of fields, including telecommunications, spectroscopy, and laser technology. Solving this problem can improve the accuracy and precision of measurements in these areas, leading to advancements in data transmission, chemical analysis, and laser-based technologies.