Exploring the Depths of a Black Hole: What Lies Beyond the Event Horizon?

In summary, even though you cannot see outside of a black hole, you can still see the outside universe if you are close enough.
super_kangaro
I was wondering about black holes.

If you could some how go inside a black hole without dieing, being turned into a spaghetti, become part of the black hole, or anything else of that sort. Would there be absolutly nothing around you, would you teleport, or go back in time. What would happen?

I know this question is absolutly ridiculous and i know I explained it poorly.
But... I just want to know what's inside a black hole.

Thanks for reading my post :)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Neglecting all those unpleasant effects you described, you wouldn't be able to tell whether you were inside or outside the event horizon of a black hole (unless you did some calculation, or tried to get out of it). You would just continue to move to the center of the black hole, where there would be some singularity which would inevitably destroy you. That's all.

The funny thing is, that if you tried to get out (or actually stop free-falling, so accelerate in any way whatsoever) it would happen sooner.

Tere is some software to simulate the fall into it?

google "andrew hamilton"

the first hit should be the homepage of a guy at UC Boulder who has some animations and graphics like this:
http://casa.colorado.edu/~ajsh/singularity.html

AFAIK he doesn't have software to download but he has stuff to watch

Here's another webpage by CASA (Centre for Astrophysics and Space Astronomy) which appears to add graphics to Hamiltons simulations-

http://casa.colorado.edu/~ajsh/insidebh/index.html

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Just for clarity, it should be noted that 'inside' a black hole is usually construed as meaning inside the event horizon. There is no 'inside' to the singularity. Stick with supermassive black holes if you elect to carry out this rather one sided experiment. You could pass through the event horizon without being pasta-fied in a really big one.

I always thought that a black hole was litterally a black flat infinitly deep hole.

Thanks for the links and answer to my question:)

So in conclusion all there is in a black hole is death.

You end up in another dimension ? Another universe?

If you ended up in the tenth dimension that would be weird because you would be like god.

If you can't tell if you were inside or outside of a black hole, wouldn't that mean that you're in another dimension? The human mind isn't wired to perceive objects in other dimensions. Also a black hole may just be a fourth dimensional object passing through the third dimension. But honestly, I have no idea what I'm talking about. I'm a 14 year old kid who can't fall asleep.

super_kangaro said:
I always thought that a black hole was litterally a black flat infinitly deep hole.

So in conclusion all there is in a black hole is death.
Just think of a black hole as a hole in three dimensions.

And yes, a black hole is just death :P
Death and the edge of known physics.

Chronos said:
You could pass through the event horizon without being pasta-fied in a really big one.

Disclaimer: once you pass through the event-horizon though, you will inevitably be drawn closer to the singularity, and you will be pasta-fied. (Don't try to avoid it, you will only make it happen sooner). So don't try this at home!

super_kangaro said:
From a distance outside, the event horizon will appear like a black sphere. It will bend light around it. See the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_hole" for a rendering of this.
An interesting thing is that, as you approach the black hole, the light distortion will make it appear that the event horizon is swallowing you up. At 1.5 Schwarzschild radius, the event horizon will appear like a level horizon. Closer than this, and the incoming light shrinks to a smaller disk.
Note that inside of a black hole is not all black, you can still see things, though highly distorted.
CompuChip said:
Disclaimer: once you pass through the event-horizon though, you will inevitably be drawn closer to the singularity, and you will be pasta-fied. (Don't try to avoid it, you will only make it happen sooner). So don't try this at home!
If you try this at home, the black hole will suck up Earth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Note that inside of a black hole is not all black, you can still see things, though highly distorted.

Are you sure of this?

Drakkith said:
Are you sure of this?
This site has some line-diagram-renderings of falling into a black hole.
It addresses that when inside a black hole, you can still see the outside universe.

FtlIsAwesome said:
This site has some line-diagram-renderings of falling into a black hole.
It addresses that when inside a black hole, you can still see the outside universe.

Oh ok, I see what you're talking about.

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. It is formed when a massive star dies and collapses under its own gravity.

2. How big are black holes?

The size of a black hole depends on its mass. The more mass it has, the larger it is. The smallest black holes, known as stellar black holes, have a mass of a few times that of our sun. Supermassive black holes, found at the center of galaxies, can have a mass equivalent to billions of suns.

3. Can we see inside a black hole?

No, we cannot see inside a black hole because even light cannot escape from it due to its strong gravitational pull. This also means that we cannot directly observe a black hole, but we can detect its effects on surrounding matter and light.

4. What is inside a black hole?

It is currently unknown what exists inside a black hole. The laws of physics, as we know them, break down at the center of a black hole, known as the singularity. Some theories suggest that the singularity is a point of infinite density, while others propose that it may lead to another universe.

5. Can anything escape from a black hole?

Once something crosses the event horizon of a black hole, it is impossible for it to escape. This includes matter, light, and even information. However, some theories suggest that tiny particles, known as Hawking radiation, can escape from a black hole, but this has not been confirmed by observation.