Career in Petroleum: Questions from a High School Student

In summary, the conversation is discussing the career options of a high school student, particularly the appealing aspects of petroleum engineering such as high pay and opportunities for travel. However, the conversation also raises questions about the future of the profession, including job prospects, transferable skills, and the accuracy of peak oil predictions. Despite potential challenges, such as the physical demands of the job and the potential for stress and frequent relocation, it is agreed that petroleum engineering will continue to be an important and in-demand field in the future.
doggogo8
hello,

I'm a yr12 high school student looking into many career options. Petroleum engineering attracts me the most as it seems to offer great pay and opportunity to travel. But these questions are bugging me about this profession:

1. What would happen to these engineers when oil run out?
2. Are the skills transferable, for example, could we move onto mining engineering, banking industry, etc. ?
3. Is peak oil accurate predicting oil will peak in 2010?
4. Great pay, opportunity to travel, what's the catch?
5. Is there a high demand for this profession, would I be able to get a job when I graduate?

Thanks in advance.
~Markas

Physics news on Phys.org
Job prospects always change and it can be hard to predict what it will be like in 4-5 years when you get your degree. But oil and gas is a very big industry. After all, you need liquid fuels to fuel your cars and gas to heat your home. And you have all this stuff about syngas, biofuels, coal gasification being developed so there is lots of opportunity.

I worked for Schlumberger as a field engineer. Petroleum engineering is going to still be an important field for the rest of our lifetimes. Oil is not running out. Easy to mine oil is running out. More advance techniques are needed the access the oil in the ground now a days. The most important skill you get when working in the petroleum industry is leadership. On an oil rig you will probably be the one in charge with the most education out there. There is great pay and travel, but it can become stressful if you have a family. Depending on the company and position you could change locations and even countries every year.

1. What would happen to these engineers when oil run out?

They will always have jobs. Because fuel and fuelextraction-techniques is always something that will play an important part in technology. LIke for example biofuels, or powergenerating techniques in chemical process industry.

2. Are the skills transferable, for example, could we move onto mining engineering, banking industry, etc. ?

They are very transferable, process engineering will probably be the degree you will be aiming at. That degree can transfer between very different fields.

3. Is peak oil accurate predicting oil will peak in 2010?

Pending on this one, mainly because it isn't sure if oil will be our main source of fuel after 25 years from now, I think most governments will pressure industry to go "green" or not-so-oil-addicted. At least in europe the governments pressure industry and consumers very much.

4. Great pay, opportunity to travel, what's the catch?

There is no catch really. But I wouldn't get to enviromental if I worked for the big 5 oilproducers out there. Because they don't give a rat's *** really.

5. Is there a high demand for this profession, would I be able to get a job when I graduate?

Yes, you will be able to get a job, probably worldwide too. But it depends on your social skills, high in social skills will land you a job very fast, but if you're average it will take some time getting used to interviews and writeing a good CV and such.

The catch? Some people don't like to get their hands dirty.

tbradshaw said:
I worked for Schlumberger as a field engineer. Petroleum engineering is going to still be an important field for the rest of our lifetimes. Oil is not running out. Easy to mine oil is running out. More advance techniques are needed the access the oil in the ground now a days. The most important skill you get when working in the petroleum industry is leadership. On an oil rig you will probably be the one in charge with the most education out there. There is great pay and travel, but it can become stressful if you have a family. Depending on the company and position you could change locations and even countries every year.

That is true. We should be approaching peak oil according to Hubbert, but so what? That just means that the oil will become more valuable and more technical people will be hired to find what's left. It is probably a good field.

1. What is a career in petroleum?

A career in petroleum involves working in the oil and gas industry, which is responsible for discovering, extracting, and refining crude oil and natural gas. This industry is essential for providing energy to power transportation, homes, and businesses.

2. What education and skills are required for a career in petroleum?

Most careers in the petroleum industry require at least a bachelor's degree in a relevant field, such as geology, engineering, or chemistry. In addition to a strong educational background, skills such as problem-solving, communication, and teamwork are essential for success in this field.

3. What types of jobs are available in the petroleum industry?

There are a variety of jobs available in the petroleum industry, including geologists, engineers, technicians, managers, and analysts. These roles can involve exploration and production, refining and processing, transportation and logistics, or research and development.

4. What is the job outlook for careers in petroleum?

The job outlook for careers in petroleum is dependent on the global demand for oil and gas. While there may be fluctuations in the industry, the need for energy will continue to create opportunities for skilled professionals in this field.

5. How can I prepare for a career in petroleum while in high school?

If you are interested in a career in petroleum, you can start by taking classes in math, science, and technology. You can also join clubs or participate in activities related to energy or the environment. Additionally, summer internships or job shadowing opportunities can provide valuable insight into the industry and help you build relevant skills and experience.