Finding the Time for a Photon's Arrival

In summary, this conversation discusses the metric for trajectories along radial lines passing through observers on Earth, as well as the current proper distance and comoving distance to a galaxy that is receding from us. It also explores the value of the scale factor in a universe with a constant rate of change and calculates the time it takes for a photon to travel from the source to Earth.
Brewer

Homework Statement

The metric for trajectories along radial lines passing through observers on
Earth in comoving coordinates is
[tex]ds^2 = −c^2dt^2 + a(t)^2dr^2[/tex].
At time [tex]t_0[/tex], now, a galaxy comoving with the expansion that is not currently
observable here on Earth is receding from us at a recession velocity of [tex]v_p[/tex].

(a) In terms of [tex]v_p[/tex], the Hubble constant [tex]H_0[/tex] and the present value of the scale factor [/tex]a(t_0)[/tex], what are the current proper distance [tex]dp[/tex] and comoving distance r to the object?

(b) Consider a Universe where the time rate of change of the scale factor is
a constant. Show that the value of the scale factor at time t is given by
[tex]a(t) = a(t_0)(1 + H_0(t − t_0))[/tex].

(c) The source emits a photon directed towards us. Show that the time [tex]\tau[/tex] for
the photon to travel here from the source is given by
[tex]\tau = \frac{1}{H_0}(e^{\frac{v_p}{c}} - 1).[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've got parts a and b done. For a,
[tex]d_p = \frac{v_p}{H_0}[/tex] and [tex]r = \frac{a(t_0)v_p}{H_0}[/tex]

and I can show what's asked of me in part b by integrating. However I am completely stumped by part c of the question.

I've started it by saying that for a photon, [tex]ds = 0[/tex] so that it can be said that
[tex]c\frac{dt}{a(t)} = dr[/tex], but then I got lost.

I tried substituting in for [tex]a(t)[/tex] and got three separate integrals that can be done, two of them being constants (and so just giving me first order powers of t) and the other giving me [tex]ln(t)[/tex], but after substituting the limits in (I assume these would be 0 and [tex]\tau[/tex] I don't know what to do with the ln0 that I get. And I have the linear powers of t to worry about.

If anyone could walk me through the steps I would appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I totally forgot how to integrate and how to split up fractions. I think I have it now.

1. How is "time for a photon's arrival" determined?

The time for a photon's arrival is determined by measuring the amount of time it takes for a photon to travel from its source to its destination. This can be calculated using the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second.

2. Can the time for a photon's arrival be influenced or changed?

No, the time for a photon's arrival cannot be influenced or changed. The speed of light is a fundamental constant and cannot be altered. However, the path a photon takes from its source to its destination can be affected by external factors such as gravity or other objects in its path.

3. Why is the concept of "time for a photon's arrival" important in physics?

The concept of time for a photon's arrival is important in physics because it is directly related to the speed of light, which is a fundamental constant in the universe. It also helps us understand the behavior and properties of light, which is crucial in many areas of science such as optics and electromagnetism.

4. Is the time for a photon's arrival the same for all types of light?

Yes, the time for a photon's arrival is the same for all types of light. This is because the speed of light is constant regardless of the wavelength or frequency of the light. However, the path a photon takes can be affected by the medium it travels through, which can alter its arrival time.

5. Can the time for a photon's arrival be measured accurately?

Yes, the time for a photon's arrival can be measured accurately using advanced scientific instruments such as atomic clocks. These instruments can measure time to nanosecond precision, allowing for precise measurements of photon arrival times.