Any good books to learn quantum physics

In summary, there are two recommended books for learning quantum mechanics - Introduction to Quantum Mechanics by Griffiths and Principles of Quantum Mechanics by Shankar. Both are written in a conversational style and require at least a basic understanding of math, with Shankar's book being more math-heavy. Strengthening math skills may be helpful for those with weaker physics backgrounds. Contrary to popular belief, the job prospects for physicists are actually good.
math_04
Hi everyone. Does anyone know any good books (easy to understand, not too lengthy) on quantum physics. Right now, I am studying aerospace engineering (2nd Year) and honestly, I have always loved physics...but right now, studying higher physics is kinda hard for me given the degree I am doing. I did touch upon quantum physics last year with the Bohr hydrogen atom, photoelectric effect etc. But I am looking to get a good grasp of the subject. And for those of you who are wondering why I didnt do a physics degree, the job and salary outlook does not look too great...

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
There are a few threads regarding books for learning quantum mechanics.
I'm guessing you're familiar with multivariable calculus, in which case you should find Griffiths' Introduction to Quantum Mechanics pretty readable. Shankar's Principles of Quantum Mechanics is a bit lengthier than Griffiths and more heavy on the math, but it's a good introduction assuming you're at least comfortable with vectors and matrices; he does cover the required math (and classical mechanics) in a chapter though. Both of these are written in a conversational style, which is great if you're looking for someone to give it to you straight.
I was able to read through Shankar with no more physics than mechanics at the first year level and general physics at the high school level, but the math courses I had done prior may have compensated for that. Needless to say, if your physics is weak, strengthening up your math will probably be a good idea (and as an aerospace engineering major, I'm guessing you can fit in a few extra math courses).
And anyway, I thought job prospects were good for physicists.

for your question! Quantum physics is a fascinating and complex subject that can be difficult to grasp, especially for those studying it outside of a physics degree program. However, there are definitely some great resources out there that can help you gain a better understanding of this field.

One book I would recommend is "Quantum Physics for Beginners" by Zbigniew Ficek. This book provides a clear and concise introduction to quantum physics, making it a great option for those who are new to the subject. It also includes plenty of examples and exercises to help reinforce your understanding.

Another great book is "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman. This book covers the basics of quantum mechanics in a conversational and easy-to-understand manner. It also includes helpful analogies and real-world examples to make the concepts more relatable.

If you are looking for a more in-depth understanding of quantum physics, I would recommend "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths. This book is widely used in undergraduate physics courses and provides a thorough and rigorous introduction to the subject.

Overall, my advice would be to start with a beginner-friendly book like "Quantum Physics for Beginners" and then gradually move on to more advanced texts as your understanding grows. It's also helpful to supplement your reading with online resources such as lectures, videos, and practice problems. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is quantum physics and why is it important to learn?

Quantum physics is the branch of science that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It is important to learn because it helps us understand the fundamental laws of nature and has led to many technological advancements, such as transistors and lasers.

2. Are there any recommended books for beginners to learn quantum physics?

Yes, there are many books available that are suitable for beginners to learn quantum physics. Some popular options include "Quantum Physics for Dummies" by Steven Holzner, "Introducing Quantum Theory" by J.P. McEvoy and Oscar Zarate, and "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman.

3. Is it necessary to have a strong background in physics to understand quantum physics?

While having a background in physics can certainly be helpful, it is not necessary to understand quantum physics. Many introductory books and courses assume little to no prior knowledge and provide the necessary background information as they go along.

4. Can I learn quantum physics on my own or do I need to take a course?

It is possible to learn quantum physics on your own through books, online resources, and videos. However, taking a course or attending lectures can provide a more structured and comprehensive learning experience.

5. How long does it take to learn quantum physics?

The amount of time it takes to learn quantum physics varies depending on the individual's background knowledge, learning style, and dedication. It can take anywhere from a few months to a few years to gain a basic understanding of quantum physics.