Oxygen enrichment of an internal combustion engine

In summary, the type of zeolite and operating conditions will determine the surface area required, the frequency of regeneration, and the need for protection from other gases. Overall, using a suitable zeolite can potentially increase the oxygen percentage in the induction air of an internal combustion engine, providing benefits to its performance.
Mallory
Hello

I'm exploring the possibility of filtering the induction air of an internal combustion engine through a suitable zeolite to increase its oxygen percentage.
I've read the thread on Pressure Swing Adsorbtion and understand that normally air is forced through the zeolite at up to 150kPa but I do not need 95% pure oxygen.
Questions I have are:
1 What sort of surface area of zeolite is required per cfm?
2 How long can the zeolite remain effective before it requires to be regenerated? I only need it to last a maximum of 10 seconds.
3 Can it be regenerated by blowing oxygen through it from a high pressure cylinder? If so does it then need protecting from air until required?
As I've said I'm not looking for 95% pure, any percentage increase will be beneficial.

Any advice please!

Engineering news on Phys.org
The answers to your questions depend on the type of zeolite you choose and the conditions under which it is used. Generally speaking, the higher the surface area per unit volume of zeolite, the more oxygen can be adsorbed. As for regeneration, this can be done by exposing the zeolite to high pressure oxygen for a period of time, usually several hours. However, it is important to note that zeolites can become saturated over time, so it may need to be replaced or regenerated more often depending on the conditions. For your application, a short-term regeneration cycle may be sufficient, but it would depend on the type of zeolite and the operating conditions. Lastly, it is important to protect zeolites from contamination by other gases, such as air, so they can retain their full capacity.

What is oxygen enrichment of an internal combustion engine?

Oxygen enrichment of an internal combustion engine is the process of increasing the amount of oxygen present in the air-fuel mixture that is ignited inside the engine. This results in a more efficient and complete combustion of the fuel, leading to increased power output and reduced emissions.

Why is oxygen enrichment important for an internal combustion engine?

Oxygen enrichment is important because it allows for a more efficient and complete combustion of the fuel, resulting in increased power output and reduced emissions. This can lead to improved performance and fuel economy for the engine.

How is oxygen enrichment achieved in an internal combustion engine?

Oxygen enrichment can be achieved through various methods, such as using an air-fuel ratio controller, adjusting the fuel injector flow rate, or adding an oxygen-rich additive to the fuel. The specific method used will depend on the type of engine and its requirements.

What are the benefits of oxygen enrichment for an internal combustion engine?

The main benefits of oxygen enrichment include increased power output, improved fuel efficiency, and reduced emissions. This can lead to improved performance and a more environmentally friendly engine.

Are there any potential drawbacks to oxygen enrichment of an internal combustion engine?

While oxygen enrichment can provide numerous benefits, there are also potential drawbacks to consider. These can include increased engine stress and wear, potential damage to engine components, and the need for more frequent maintenance. It is important to carefully consider these factors before implementing oxygen enrichment in an engine.