Microscope to view sample in focus with a completely relaxed eye

In summary: Does that make more sense?In summary, the length of the tube, L, in this microscope must be long enough to contain the distance of the first image from the first lens and the distance from the first image to the second lens. In this case, L must be 6.8 cm.
Niki4444

Homework Statement

A microscope has a converging lens (eyepiece) with focal length of 2.50 cm mounted on one end of a tube of adjustable length. At the other end is another converging lens (objective) with a focal length of 1.00 cm. When you place the sample 1.30 cm from the objective, what length, l, will you need to adjust the tube of the microscope to view the sample in focus with a completely relaxed eye. It then explains that to view sample with a completely relaxed eye, the eyepiece must form its image at infinity.

Homework Equations

f(eyepiece)=2.50 cm
f(objective)=1.00 cm
L=adjustable
1/f=1/s+1/s'
Mo=-s'/s
Me=25/f(eyepiece)
M=(Mo)(Me)=-(L/fo)(25 cm/f(eyepiece))

The Attempt at a Solution

so, for the objective lens,
1/f=1/s+1/s'
1/1=1/1.3+1/s'
solve for s' and get 4.3 cm

so, for the eyepiece lens,
1/f=1/s+1/s'
1/2.5=1/2.5+1/infinity
so, I thought s would be close to 2.5

so, Mo=-(4.3)/(1.3)=-3.3
so, Me=25/2.5=10

so, M=(Mo)(Me)=(-3.3)(10)=-33.1
M=-33.1=(-L)/(fo)*(25/fe)
-33.1=-L/1*25/2.5
solving for L, I get 3.31 cm which is incorrect

Any ideas to push me toward a better solution? Thanks again for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see why you need to use magnification to solve this problem. I think your making this harder than it has to be.

The length of the tube, L, must be long enough to contain the distance of the first image from the first lens and the distance from the first image to the second lens. You know the distance of the first image from the first lens is 4.3cm and that the distance from the second lens has to be 2.5 cm. You should be able to find L just from this information.

If you haven't already, try drawing a picture to help you to visualize the setup of this microscope.

Thank you for letting me know I'm making physics harder than it needs to be! I certainly don't want to do that. So L is the distance from the object to the final image??
So, you said...
The length of the tube, L, must be long enough to contain the distance of the first image from the first lens and the distance from the first image to the second lens. You know the distance of the first image from the first lens is 4.3cm and that the distance from the second lens has to be 2.5 cm. You should be able to find L just from this information.

so L must be 4.3 cm + 2.5 cm? I guess I don't understand what L is.

Last edited:
Niki4444 said:
Thank you for letting me know I'm making physics harder than it needs to be! I certainly don't want to do that. So L is the distance from the object to the final image??
So, you said...

so L must be 4.3 cm + 2.5 cm? I guess I don't understand what L is.
Yes. L is the length of the tube between the first and second lens. So if the image is inside the tube, 4.3cm away from one lens and 2.5 cm away from the other, then we can reason that the tube must be 2.5+4.3 = 6.8cm long.

1. How do I adjust the focus on a microscope?

To adjust the focus on a microscope, first make sure the objective lens is in the lowest magnification. Then, use the coarse focus knob to bring the sample into view. Once the sample is visible, use the fine focus knob to make small adjustments until the sample is in clear focus.

2. Why is it important to have a completely relaxed eye when using a microscope?

Having a completely relaxed eye when using a microscope allows for a more accurate observation of the sample. This is because straining or squinting can alter the shape of the eye and affect the perceived image.

3. How do I know if my eye is relaxed when using a microscope?

You can tell if your eye is relaxed by looking at the sample and noticing if there is any strain or discomfort in your eye. If you feel any discomfort, try adjusting the position of the microscope or taking a short break to rest your eyes.

4. Can I use a microscope with glasses or contact lenses?

Yes, you can use a microscope with glasses or contact lenses. However, it is important to adjust the microscope's eyepiece to accommodate for the distance between your eye and the lens. Some microscopes also have eyepiece adjustments specifically for eyeglass wearers.

5. How can I prevent eye strain when using a microscope?

To prevent eye strain when using a microscope, make sure the room is well-lit and avoid glare on the microscope's lenses. Take breaks to rest your eyes and adjust the microscope's settings to fit your needs. It is also important to maintain good posture and keep a comfortable distance between your eyes and the microscope's eyepiece.