Preparing for Physics Undergrad: Books & Math

In summary: However, it can be covered in a physics undergraduate physics course, and you'll learn more about QM that way.
adartsesirhc
I'm a high school student, and I want to learn as much as I can about physics before getting to college. It would be great if I could cover everything that the average physics undergrad student learns before going to a university. So far, I've read:

Fundamentals of Physics - Halliday/Resnick/Walker
Physics for Scientists of Engineers - Tipler/Mosca
Calculus - Anton
Linear Algebra - Bronson

And I'm reading:
Introduction to Quantum Mechanics - Griffiths
Elementary Differential Equations - Boyce/DiPrima

I have the following, but I haven't started them:
Classical Dynamics of Particles and Systems - Marion/Thornton
Introduction to Electrodynamics - Griffiths
Introduction to Elementary Particles - Griffiths
Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell - Zee
A First Course in String Theory - Zettigli

Do you guys have any suggestions on textbooks to use for the following:
Classical Mechanics
Classical Electrodynamics
Statistical Physics
Quantum Field Theory
Elementary Particles
String Theory

Also, what math should I know before tackling each of these?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
For thermodynamics and statistical mechanics I used "An introduction to Thermal Physics" by Schroeder and thought it was quite good, although a little too un-rigorous for my liking. I don't know any other books on the subject. For Mechanics and Electrodynamics, Marion/Thorton and Griffiths should suffice, they are both excellent books in my opinion. Why not a book on special relativity? Good introductions are "Special Relativity" by French and "A traveler's guide to spacetime" by Moore. Alternatively, to cover Mechanics, E&M and Quantum you could read the Feynman lectures... can't go wrong with Feynman!
To gain a suitable math background, I would recommend "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Boas. This covers all the math that a physics undergraduate would typically encounter in a decent amount of detail (although extra reading in the subjects covered would be recommended)Cheers,
Nick

Is it just me, but I would do classical mechanics and electromagnetism (as well as differential equations) before QM?

halliday/resnick/walker is pretty bad. halliday/resnick/krane on the other hand is pretty good. calc books are pretty much all the same, so are linear algebra and diff eq books. marion thornton is shiet book though. get klepner and kolenkow for mechanics. other than that you should tack on a pde book and applied complex analysis. past that i don't know.

adartsesirhc said:
I'm a high school student, and I want to learn as much as I can about physics before getting to college. It would be great if I could cover everything that the average physics undergrad student learns before going to a university. So far, I've read:

Fundamentals of Physics - Halliday/Resnick/Walker
Physics for Scientists of Engineers - Tipler/Mosca
Calculus - Anton
Linear Algebra - Bronson

And I'm reading:
Introduction to Quantum Mechanics - Griffiths
Elementary Differential Equations - Boyce/DiPrima

I have the following, but I haven't started them:
Classical Dynamics of Particles and Systems - Marion/Thornton
Introduction to Electrodynamics - Griffiths
Introduction to Elementary Particles - Griffiths
Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell - Zee
A First Course in String Theory - Zettigli

Do you guys have any suggestions on textbooks to use for the following:
Classical Mechanics
Classical Electrodynamics
Statistical Physics
Quantum Field Theory
Elementary Particles
String Theory

Also, what math should I know before tackling each of these?

Thanks!

Wow you in high school and you learned all that? Which grade?

Griffiths is great for learning how to calculate stuff in QM; surprisingly, it can be tackled before a course on classical dynamics or E&M. That said, unfortunately you won't take any physical understanding away from it. Only calculation techniques.

If you really want to learn QM, you're going to need a few different books. Griffiths won't prepare you for Zee, and reading Zee will be a waste of time without a solid QM foundation, and also requires knowing Lagrangian and Hamiltonian dynamics, special relativity, and a great deal of E&M cold.

(Not to mention ODEs, PDEs, special functions, Green's functions, Fourier transforms... Boas' book should be at the top of your list.)

qspeechc said:
Is it just me, but I would do classical mechanics and electromagnetism (as well as differential equations) before QM?

Ideally yes, they are are "classical subjects" which QM was formulated with.

1. What are the best books to prepare for physics undergrad?

The best books to prepare for physics undergrad will depend on your personal learning style and the specific curriculum of your program. However, some commonly recommended books include "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, "Classical Mechanics" by Taylor, and "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by Griffiths. It's also a good idea to consult with professors or upperclassmen in your program for their recommendations.

2. Do I need to have advanced math skills to succeed in physics undergrad?

A strong foundation in math is essential for success in physics undergrad. Calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations are all important tools in understanding and solving physics problems. However, many concepts and equations can be learned and applied as you progress through your physics courses. It's important to have a solid understanding of the basics and be willing to continue learning and practicing math throughout your undergraduate studies.

3. How can I improve my math skills for physics undergrad?

There are several ways to improve your math skills for physics undergrad. First, make sure you have a strong understanding of basic math concepts such as algebra and trigonometry. You can also practice solving physics problems that involve math, either from textbooks or online resources. Additionally, there are many math review books and courses specifically designed for physics students, which can be helpful in strengthening your skills.

4. Are there any online resources or tools for preparing for physics undergrad?

Yes, there are many online resources and tools available for preparing for physics undergrad. Some popular options include Khan Academy, Physics Classroom, and MIT OpenCourseWare. These websites offer free video lessons, practice problems, and lecture notes for various physics topics. Additionally, there are various physics simulation and problem-solving apps that can be useful for practicing and learning concepts.

5. Should I focus on self-studying before starting physics undergrad?

While self-studying can be helpful in preparing for physics undergrad, it's important to balance it with other preparation methods. Attending lectures, participating in labs and study groups, and seeking help from professors or tutors can also be beneficial. It's important to find a study method that works best for you and to stay organized and motivated throughout your preparation process.