Fermat's Theorem: Proven by Euler and By Me?

In summary, the conversation revolved around a theorem proposed by Euler that states x^2+2=y^3 only has one solution (5,3) in natural numbers. The proof was lost but has been re-proved by others, including using infinite descent. The conversation also discussed the discovery of a parent set of three relatively prime integers for different values of n, with a pattern emerging for A, B, and C. The question was raised about whether there are cases with n>10 where the value of D is less than with its parent. Binomial expansions were also explored, with the observation that the total is always positive except for n=2 and linear for a particular value of n=5. It was also noted that
excogitator
I'm talking about neither his "last theorem" nor his "little theorem", but another one. He suggested that

x^2+2=y^3 can only have one solution (if we're dealing in natural numbers), which was (5,3). Euler reproved the theorem since, like so many others of his, the proof was lost. I can't find the proof now, but I remember it had to do with complex numbers and relative primes.

I did some work with the theorem myself in my free time last summer, and I think I found a proof of it using infinite descent. I can't be certain my proof is correct since I haven't had the chance to have anyone review it, and I'm also not sure if anyone else has proven the theorem in a similar way. Does anyone know if it has? I'm especially proud because I think this is probably the way in which Fermat would have proven the theorem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here are some interesting things I have discovered relative to FLT. Probably no proof, but strong evidence that it is true.
Parents of Pythagonal and other triple integers

This study is concerned with establishing the parent of a set of three different relatively prime integers A, B, C where A^n -B^n -C^n = D and D is a minimum, with a parent for every value of n greater than zero.

With n = 1 the parent is 3, 2, 1 with D = 0
n = 2 5, 4, 3 0
n = 3 7, 6, 5 2
n = 4 9, 8, 7 64

with n = 3 there is a triple 9, 8, 6 D = 1, but I am excluding triples where A, B and C are not all relatively prime.

The parent for n = 2 leads to all possible values with D = 0, and descendents can have A-B = 1, or B-C =1 or A-C = 2 but no more than one of these features of the parent.

Similarly with n = 3 the parent leads to all possible values where D = 2

With n = 4 all other values lead to D having a magnitude greater than 64.

From these facts expressions for A, B, and C of the parent of n can be deduced as A = 2*n+1,
B= 2*n, C = 2*n-1.

Trials show that this is true for n = 6, 7, 9, and 10 but with n = 5 triple 17,16,13 gives D = -12 instead of 11,10,9 with D = 2002

And with n = 8 triple 22,21,19 gives D = 69,451,134 instead of 17,16,15 with D = 1,117,899,520

Question - are there more cases with n > 10 where D can be less than with its parent?

Applying binomial expansions to the parent set with n = 5
:
Note that the total of the first two terms cancel and odd terms after that are all zero. The total is always positive for all powers except 2 where only the first three terms exist.
The total expansion with n > 2 is always of the order p - 3

Applying binomial expansions to A = 3*n+1, B = 3*n+1, C = 3n with n = 5

Here the first two terms cancel, also the third and fourth, so the total expansion is linear

There does not seem to be an expansion for the particular n = 8 case above that makes its order less than n. It seems true that with n greater than 2 , the magnitude of D is always greater than one.

1. What is Fermat's Theorem?

Fermat's Theorem, also known as Fermat's Last Theorem, is a mathematical conjecture proposed by French mathematician Pierre de Fermat in the 17th century. It states that no three positive integers a, b, and c can satisfy the equation an + bn = cn for any integer value of n greater than 2.

2. Who proved Fermat's Theorem?

Fermat's Theorem was proven by Swiss mathematician Leonhard Euler in 1735 and British mathematician Andrew Wiles in 1995. Euler's proof was incomplete, but Wiles' proof was confirmed by the mathematical community and is considered the first successful proof of the theorem.

3. What is the significance of Fermat's Theorem?

Fermat's Theorem is significant because it was one of the most famous and long-standing unsolved problems in mathematics. It also has implications in various fields, such as number theory, algebra, and geometry.

4. How was Fermat's Theorem proven?

Fermat's Theorem was proven by Euler using mathematical techniques such as infinite descent and mathematical induction. Wiles' proof involved a more advanced approach, using complex mathematical concepts such as elliptic curves and modular forms.

5. Are there any other theorems attributed to Fermat?

Yes, Fermat is known for other theorems in mathematics, such as Fermat's Little Theorem, Fermat's Principle, and Fermat's Polygonal Number Theorem. However, Fermat's Theorem, also known as Fermat's Last Theorem, is his most famous and well-known contribution to mathematics.