Electromagnetic and weak interaction unification

In summary, the electromagnetic and weak interactions were unified in the electroweak interaction, which was initially surprising but later confirmed through experiments. This unification is possible due to the mathematical framework of Quantum Field Theory. However, the unification of the electroweak and strong interactions, predicted to occur at a much higher energy scale, is not expected to be seen at the Large Hadron Collider. Further understanding of Quantum ElectroDynamics is necessary to fully comprehend the electroweak theory and potential unification theories such as GUT.
ghery
Hi:

The electromagnetic and weak interactions were unified in what is called the electroweak interaction, but as long as I know they are different classes of interactions, what I mean is that in weak interactions, there are particles that transform in others (like neutron's beta decay) and in electromagnetic interactions, particles repel or are atracted to each other...

If they are so different, how can they be unified ? or is it just that the interactions have almost the same strenght?

And by the way is there any chance that we can observe the electroweak interaction unified with the strong interaction at the Large Hadron Collider??

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

ghery said:
Hi:

The electromagnetic and weak interactions were unified in what is called the electroweak interaction, but as long as I know they are different classes of interactions, what I mean is that in weak interactions, there are particles that transform in others (like neutron's beta decay) and in electromagnetic interactions, particles repel or are atracted to each other...

If they are so different, how can they be unified ? or is it just that the interactions have almost the same strenght?

I don't understand this question. Historically, it WAS something of a surprise that the weak nuclear force could be unified with electromagnetism. But it could! The math works out, and the predictions were confirmed by later experiments. I wasn't alive in the 1960's when these models were being published, so I can't comment on what Weinberg was THINKING when he decided that this might work... But that's what separates the smart people from the geniuses! :wink:

To understand precisely how this happens, you need to have a firm understanding of Quantum Field Theory. I'm not sure what your background is, so I won't say any more about that here.

And by the way is there any chance that we can observe the electroweak interaction unified with the strong interaction at the Large Hadron Collider??

Thanks

Nope. Strong-EW unification is predicted to happen at an energy scale of around 10^{16} GeV, which is 10^{12} orders of magnitude above the energy scales of the LHC. So any predictions of GUT's would be dramatically suppressed (naively 1 part in 10^{24}), unless there was something totally unexpected. People are looking, but no one expects to find any direct evidence of GUT physics...

In Standard Model, Electromagnetism is not just particles repel or are attracted each other ..etc.
Electroweak Theory actually takes electromagnetism as a perturbation theory of the electromagnetic quantum vacuum (QED). So according to Quantum ElectroDynamics one has to deal with "electron and photon interactions" like compton scattering. I think It is important to understand QED theory to understand the electroweak theory soon.

I don't believe that LHC datas will show the GUT directly. For this kind of Unification theory, one should complete the mathematical background behind the GUT. It won't be a big surprise for me if the whole GUT theory constructed inside out.

1. What is the electromagnetic and weak interaction unification?

The electromagnetic and weak interaction unification is a theory in particle physics that explains the relationship between the electromagnetic and weak forces, two of the four fundamental forces in nature. It proposes that these two forces are actually different aspects of a single unified force at high energies.

2. How do electromagnetic and weak interactions differ?

The electromagnetic force is responsible for interactions between electrically charged particles, while the weak force is responsible for interactions between subatomic particles that do not have an electric charge, such as neutrinos. The electromagnetic force is much stronger than the weak force, but the weak force has a longer range.

3. What evidence supports the electromagnetic and weak interaction unification?

One of the main pieces of evidence is the discovery of the W and Z bosons, which are particles that mediate the weak force. These particles were predicted by the theory of electroweak unification, which combines the electromagnetic and weak forces into a single force. The precise measurements of the properties of these particles also support the theory.

4. How does the electromagnetic and weak interaction unification relate to the Higgs mechanism?

The Higgs mechanism is a crucial part of the electroweak theory and explains how particles acquire mass. It is through the Higgs mechanism that the W and Z bosons, as well as other particles, gain their masses. Without the Higgs mechanism, the electroweak theory would not be able to accurately describe the behavior of these particles.

5. Can we observe the electromagnetic and weak interaction unification in everyday life?

No, the effects of the electromagnetic and weak interaction unification are only observed at extremely high energies, such as those found in particle accelerators. In everyday life, we only experience the separate forces of electromagnetism and weak interactions due to the low energies involved.