Calculating Relative Error for Circle Measurements: A Comprehensive Guide

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of relative error and how it applies to the radius and circumference of a circle. It was determined that if the relative error for the radius is 5%, then the relative error for the circumference is also 5% due to the proportional relationship between the two measurements. The conversation also touched on the formula for finding the circumference and how to calculate the relative error using this formula.
Ashley11
Relative Error!?

If the relative error for the radius of a circle is 5%, what is the relative error for the circumference?

I know that relative error is the ratio of the absolute error in a measurement to the size of the measurement, but I honestly have no idea how to complete the problem. These are one of the pre-lab problems, where we're supposed to try and figure it out before we're taught it, but I'm stumped on this one.

PLEASE HELP!

Physics news on Phys.org

Ashley11 said:
If the relative error for the radius of a circle is 5%, what is the relative error for the circumference?

I know that relative error is the ratio of the absolute error in a measurement to the size of the measurement, but I honestly have no idea how to complete the problem. These are one of the pre-lab problems, where we're supposed to try and figure it out before we're taught it, but I'm stumped on this one.

PLEASE HELP!

What is the formula for the circumference of a circle?

If r is off by 5%, what effect will that have on the relative error of the formula for circumference?

Use the equation for finding the circumference from the radius. Since the radius is the measured variable, only error from it will apply.

Well, I came up with two different answers using the circumference formula: 10% and 31.4%. I'm relatively uncertain if I've done this correctly, but I believe 31.4% to possibly be the correct answer. The problem that I'm stuck on seems to be the simplest!

The circumference of a circle is [tex]2\pi r[/tex]. As dlgoff said, we assume there is only an error in [tex]r[/tex], so what's the error of [tex]2\pi r[/tex]?
EDIT: I think you got it right, the error would be [tex]2\pi \cdot 5[/tex]% which seems what you did.

Wait...since circumference is proportional to radius, would that make the relative error of the circumference 5%, as well?

Ashley11 said:
Well, I came up with two different answers using the circumference formula: 10% and 31.4%. I'm relatively uncertain if I've done this correctly, but I believe 31.4% to possibly be the correct answer. The problem that I'm stuck on seems to be the simplest!

Try it this way. Think about what the relative error means.

Doesn't it mean that the measured value can be as great as 5%?

That (r+.05r)/r yields an error of 5%

Now substitute that into the equation for the circumference.

C = 2πr

Now on the one hand the absolute error will be 2π greater, but then so would the nominal absolute result.

In calculating your RELATIVE error you compare then the Error Result with the magnitude of the correct result.

In that case it becomes (2π*(r+.05))/2π*r After simplifying though what are we left with? (r+.05)/r? And was that our original error in r?

So what does that say about multiplying Relative errors by a constant?

Ashley11 said:
Wait...since circumference is proportional to radius, would that make the relative error of the circumference 5%, as well?

There you go you beat me to it.

Good thinking.

Great! Thanks a lot for everyone's help! Great, GREATLY appreciated :)

1. What is relative error and why is it important when measuring circles?

Relative error is a measure of how accurate a measurement is compared to the true value. In circle measurements, it is important because it allows us to assess the precision and reliability of our measurements. It also helps us identify any potential sources of error that may affect our results.

2. How is relative error calculated for circle measurements?

Relative error is calculated by taking the absolute difference between the measured value and the true value, dividing it by the true value, and multiplying by 100%. This gives us a percentage that represents the amount of error in our measurement.

3. What are some potential sources of error when measuring circles?

Some potential sources of error when measuring circles include human error, instrument error, and environmental factors such as temperature or humidity. It is important to be aware of these potential sources of error and try to minimize their impact on our measurements.

4. Can relative error be negative?

Yes, relative error can be negative. This can occur when the measured value is lower than the true value. It is important to note that a negative relative error does not necessarily mean the measurement is incorrect, but rather that it is lower than the true value.

5. How can we improve the accuracy of our circle measurements?

To improve the accuracy of our circle measurements, we can use more precise instruments, take multiple measurements and calculate the average, and minimize potential sources of error. It is also important to follow proper measurement techniques and procedures to ensure the most accurate results.