3-4A too much load for a car battery?

In summary, It is possible to power an LED array that scrolls letters off of a car battery, but you will need to check with your states DMV to see if it is legal. The device should not be a problem, but it is a good idea to be aware of any restrictions.
jhicks
Hello,

So I have put into motion a plan to build an LED array that scrolls letters. I've got the hardware and coded the assembly to make it happen but I have not yet purchased things such as the LED's themselves or op-amps to drive them. I have calculated that the load will be around 3-4A worst case scenario (all 100 LED's lit, all IC's not idle). I plan on running this contraption off a car battery that also runs a car, and my question is is this an unreasonable load for it? Further, could such a load be supplied through the cigarette lighter?

Engineering news on Phys.org
jhicks said:
Hello,

So I have put into motion a plan to build an LED array that scrolls letters. I've got the hardware and coded the assembly to make it happen but I have not yet purchased things such as the LED's themselves or op-amps to drive them. I have calculated that the load will be around 3-4A worst case scenario (all 100 LED's lit, all IC's not idle). I plan on running this contraption off a car battery that also runs a car, and my question is is this an unreasonable load for it? Further, could such a load be supplied through the cigarette lighter?

Should be no problem. My car consumes 10 amps of electrical power while driving with no accessories on. And my cigarette lighter didn't fail for quite some time after I plugged in a 15 amp air compressor.(It melted the thermal overload device).

Before buying all that stuff, you may want to check with your states DMV and see if what you are planning on building is legal. I've heard that too many flashy thingy devices on a vehicle are frowned upon in some areas.

Have to avoid discharging a car battery too much if you are not running the engine. If you are running the engine the alternator will be powering the device. Some people say don't let the battery go below 50% of its capacity. If it is a 40 amp-hour battery don't let it get down to 20 amp-hours... This is 5 hours at 4 amps. A leisure battery which can withstand deep discharge better and is used for medium current loads would be an alternative and you won't risk not being able to start the car. Should be ok via a cigar lighter socket as a cigar lighter is quite a high current device but make sure you are running through a 5 Amp fuse or circuit breaker.

Excellent. Thanks for the advice.

Before buying all that stuff, you may want to check with your states DMV and see if what you are planning on building is legal.

Good point. I have to figure out a creative way to make sure this contraption doesn't block my rear view.

One more suggestion: Some states have restrictions on what colors can be displayed on vehicle lighting - especially flashing lights. In Maine, only cop cars can have blue lights, though some ambulances/rescue vehicles can have red and blue. Fire response vehicles (even private vehicles of volunteer fire fighters) can display forward-facing or roof-mounted flashing red lights. Almost everybody else that wants to use flashing lights is restricted to amber (construction vehicles, private snowplows, etc). Be thorough in your investigation before you spend a lot of money, because lighted displays that change or flash etc might be equated with flashing emergency lighting. Good luck.

1. What is the maximum load that a car battery can handle?

The maximum load that a car battery can handle is typically measured in amps, and varies depending on the type and size of the battery. On average, a car battery can handle a load of 3-4A without being overloaded.

2. What happens if a car battery is overloaded?

If a car battery is overloaded, it can cause damage to the battery and potentially lead to a shorter lifespan. It can also result in a decrease in performance and could potentially cause the battery to fail.

3. How can I tell if my car battery is being overloaded?

There are a few signs that may indicate your car battery is being overloaded. These include a decrease in performance, such as your headlights dimming, and difficulty starting your car. You may also notice an unusual smell or signs of corrosion on the battery terminals.

4. Can I use a battery with a higher load rating in my car?

It is not recommended to use a battery with a higher load rating in your car, as it could potentially cause damage to the electrical system. It is best to stick with the recommended load rating for your specific car battery.

5. How can I prevent overloading my car battery?

To prevent overloading your car battery, you should make sure to only use electrical devices and accessories that are necessary and within the recommended load limit. It is also important to regularly check and maintain your battery to ensure it is functioning properly.