Is it possible to control LED lights with a DVD player output?

In summary, George is looking for help with using the composite output from a DVD player to control the intensity and hue of a tri-color LED. He is unsure if this is achievable and is wondering if there is a product on the market or if he will need to use a computer or circuitry from an old TV to convert the output. Another user suggests using Max MSP with Jitter and an Arduino board to achieve this.
kikkoman1
Hello,

I am working on a sound/light installation at the moment and was hoping that someone on here might be able to help me with a question i have.

I would like to use the composite output from a DVD player to control the intensity and hue of LED light (or 3 (RGB) if need be). So essentially the LED will act in the same way as a projector/television would however is smaller and cheaper :).

I'm not sure if there i something like this on the market or if this is even achievable.

Any help would be much appreciated.

George

Engineering news on Phys.org
A frame of video contains all kinds of different colors and intensities throughout -- how are you going to decide which of the millions of colors present in the image will end up on your tri-color LED?

- Warren

Hi Warren

The source footage has all equal colour and intensity across the frame, but changes as time progresses. Thus each pixel is identical at points throughout.

George

You would need to decode the composite output from the DVD player into RGB outputs.
You could connect your display to the monitor output of a computer.
Or scavenge some of the circuitry from an old TV.
I don't know if a standalone composite to RGB converter is available, perhaps.

I have done something similar before. Use Max MSP with Jitter, you'll need a video ADC if your using a standalone DVD player, the output interface I used was an Arduino board.

1. What is DVD output to colour LEDs?

DVD output to colour LEDs is a technology that allows for the synchronization of a DVD player's output with a set of colour LEDs, creating a dynamic and interactive visual display.

2. How does DVD output to colour LEDs work?

DVD output to colour LEDs works by using a control box connected to the DVD player and the LEDs. The control box receives signals from the DVD player and translates them into commands for the LEDs, controlling their colours and patterns.

3. What types of colour LEDs can be used with DVD output?

Any type of colour LEDs can be used with DVD output, including RGB LEDs, single colour LEDs, and even addressable LEDs. The key is to ensure that the LEDs are compatible with the control box and can be controlled individually.

4. What are the potential applications of DVD output to colour LEDs?

DVD output to colour LEDs can be used in a variety of applications, such as in-home entertainment systems, concert lighting, art installations, and advertising displays. It can also be used for educational purposes, such as in science demonstrations or visual aids for presentations.

5. Is DVD output to colour LEDs difficult to set up?

The difficulty level of setting up DVD output to colour LEDs depends on the specific system and components being used. Some systems may be more complex and require technical expertise, while others may be more user-friendly and easier to set up. It is important to carefully follow the instructions and seek professional assistance if needed.