Looking for a material to make a mold out of Aluminum bank

In summary, the conversation discusses making a mold of an Aluminum bank and the materials that can be used for this purpose. Options for hard or soft molds are mentioned, and the use of a mold release compound is recommended. The conversation also includes a mention of Wikipedia as a resource for information on molding materials, and the suggestion to experiment with epoxy from a local boat store. Recommendations for magazines related to electronics and RF/microwave topics are also provided.
dingpud
I have an Aluminum bank about 5" x 5" by 1/2" deep. Within the bank are all sorts of rows in which components are installed. I would like to make a mold of each individual bank.

Does anyone know of any materials that will work for making a mold? My first thought was silicon, but wondered if there is something specific for this kind of application.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you want the result to be hard (like epoxy) or soft (like a silicone)? In either case, be sure to spray a mold release compound on the aluminum thing beforehand.

I could go for either. I am guessing that there is going to be at least 2 different types of releases between the silicon vs the epoxy. I think that epoxy would be nice, since it could probably be machined if needed.

Thanks,

Wikipedia appears to have some intro information on flexible and hard molding materials:

flexible molding -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flexible_mold

molding in general -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molding_(process [Broken])

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going to try and get an old unit and start messing around with some of the epoxy's that I can get at the local boat store and see where I get. I'll try and post some pics whnever I get around to doing this...

I came across something similar to this in one of those free magazines...Manufacturing Engineering. Are there any of those for the electronics, RF, or microwave world?

Excellent, thanks.

1. What type of material should I use to make a mold for an Aluminum bank?

The most commonly used material for making molds for Aluminum banks is silicone. It is heat resistant, durable, and can easily be molded into various shapes.

2. Can I use other materials besides silicone to make a mold for an Aluminum bank?

Yes, you can use other materials such as rubber, plaster, or even clay to make a mold for an Aluminum bank. However, silicone is the most recommended material due to its flexibility and durability.

3. How do I make sure the mold is compatible with Aluminum?

To ensure compatibility, make sure to use a high-quality silicone that is specifically designed for molding metal objects. You can also test the mold with a small amount of melted Aluminum before using it for the full mold.

4. Do I need any special equipment to make a mold for an Aluminum bank?

No, you do not need any special equipment to make a mold for an Aluminum bank. However, it is recommended to use gloves and a mask when handling the materials and to have a well-ventilated area for the molding process.

5. How long does it take to make a mold for an Aluminum bank?

The time it takes to make a mold for an Aluminum bank depends on the size and complexity of the bank design. On average, it can take anywhere from a few hours to a day to create a mold for an Aluminum bank.