Transferring AAS in EET to EE Program for BS

• Thread starter Jammin_James
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ee
In summary: Two degrees? Worth it?In summary, it's up to you whether or not you want to pursue an EE degree after EET. If you're almost done with your EET, it may be a good idea to finish before starting the EE degree. However, an EET is pretty handy to have as well--I know a number of people that have gotten the equivalent, worked, and then returned for an EE.
Jammin_James
Hey everyone!

I've been going to a school for EET and I've been doing pretty well so far. Something clicked for me this semester and I started to enjoy the program more and the challenges it presents. I have to say, I love working with MCUs and FPGAs; however, I do love my other course as well.

My question is this:

How easy it would be to transfer my AAS credits in EET to an EE program for a BS. These are the classes I'll have taken after I get my AAS http://www.morrisville.edu/Academics/Sci_Tech/electrical_eng_tech/html/courses.htm .

I guess I could wait until Monday to ask my teachers, but I really need to know now haha.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Jammin_James said:
Hey everyone!

I've been going to a school for EET and I've been doing pretty well so far. Something clicked for me this semester and I started to enjoy the program more and the challenges it presents. I have to say, I love working with MCUs and FPGAs; however, I do love my other course as well.

My question is this:

How easy it would be to transfer my AAS credits in EET to an EE program for a BS. These are the classes I'll have taken after I get my AAS http://www.morrisville.edu/Academics/Sci_Tech/electrical_eng_tech/html/courses.htm .

I guess I could wait until Monday to ask my teachers, but I really need to know now haha.

Thanks everyone!

Howdy, and welcome to PF!

I assume you're asking how easy it is to transfer from EE Technology (trade school) to full out EE. Depending on where you go (and where you're transferring to) you may get everything from a class or two, to lab credit in a few courses. Unfortunately, you (probably) won't be able to get significant credit for your EET work. The definitive answer would be to call up the undergraduate advisor of the EE program you'd like to apply for. You may also be able to skip the qualifying year and be directly admitted into your program (if your engineering program is structured that way--it's like that in Canada), though you'll be making up first year common courses.

That said, the EE Tech and EE BSc skill sets are different, and having both, from anecdotal experience, can really help you get hired (not only theory and problem solving abilities, but also a good deal of practical experience and knowledge, and a certain amount of ability "to do stuff"). Good luck!

Well, since I see you're still online, the EE program I want to get into is this:

http://www.syr.edu/publications/undergradcat/ECS.pdf#page=10

This is what I'm in at the moment:

http://www.morrisville.edu/Academics...ml/courses.htm

^ Just to give you an idea of what I'm looking to transfer.

Would you be able to say whether or not one is more difficult than the other. I suspect I know the answer, but I'll see what you have to say.

EDIT: Btw, the whole reason I'm curious about this is because I heard that an EE degree is more valuable than an EET degree. I'm not sure if this is
true, I was wondering if you all could tell me if it is.

Jammin_James said:
Well, since I see you're still online, the EE program I want to get into is this:

http://www.syr.edu/publications/undergradcat/ECS.pdf#page=10

This is what I'm in at the moment:

http://www.morrisville.edu/Academics...ml/courses.htm

^ Just to give you an idea of what I'm looking to transfer.

Would you be able to say whether or not one is more difficult than the other. I suspect I know the answer, but I'll see what you have to say.

EDIT: Btw, the whole reason I'm curious about this is because I heard that an EE degree is more valuable than an EET degree. I'm not sure if this is true, I was wondering if you all could tell me if it is.

I think that your best bet is to get in touch with the undergraduate recruiters (or program director, but he's probably going to refer you to the recruiters):
http://www.lcs.syr.edu/prospective/Undergrad/undergradappl.aspx

Engineering will be tougher (homework and coursework, and possibly material-wise). And trade school usually isn't a cake walk to begin with. Significantly? Depends on the student.

As for the relative "value" of EET vs. EE, well, that depends on how you're gauging value. If it's in terms of how much time and money you're spending to get them: engineering. Outside of that, they're two different skill sets: making and some design, vs. analysis, conceptualization, and problem solving.

If you're almost done your EET, I'd suggest you finish before starting the EE degree. An EET is pretty handy to have as well--I know a number of people that have gotten the equivalent, worked, and then returned for an EE, and with the EET you can hedge your bets if EE or university doesn't turn out to be your thing. Not to say that this will be the case, but you get some extra security.

This question is best answered by university advisors. They know what each course involves. My advice is to do whatever it takes to get the EE. Then, I recommend going for the MSEE. Competition is very tough these days. I don't know what kind of job you ultimately seek. But if it is in R&D, an MS is the minimum, with PhD recommended. Otherwise, a BSEE may be adequate.

1. What is the difference between an AAS and EE program?

An Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degree is typically a two-year program that focuses on practical, hands-on training in a specific field, while a Bachelor of Science (BS) degree in Electrical Engineering (EE) is a four-year program that provides a more comprehensive education in the theoretical and technical aspects of the field. In general, an AAS degree prepares students for immediate entry-level employment, while a BS degree provides a more in-depth education and can lead to higher-level positions.

2. Can I transfer my AAS credits to an EE program?

Yes, it is possible to transfer some or all of your AAS credits to an EE program, but it will depend on the specific requirements of the EE program you are applying to. It is important to speak with an academic advisor at the institution you plan to transfer to in order to determine which credits will transfer and how they will count towards your degree.

3. What courses from my AAS program will transfer to an EE program?

The courses that will transfer from your AAS program to an EE program will depend on the specific curriculum of the EE program. Typically, courses in math, science, and general education will transfer, while courses specific to your AAS program may not. Again, it is important to speak with an academic advisor to determine which courses will transfer.

4. Will transferring from an AAS to an EE program affect my graduation timeline?

Depending on the number of credits that transfer and how they count towards your EE degree, transferring from an AAS to an EE program may affect your graduation timeline. It is important to carefully plan your course schedule with an academic advisor to ensure you are on track to graduate within your desired timeline.

5. Are there any prerequisites I need to complete before transferring to an EE program?

The prerequisites for transferring to an EE program will vary depending on the specific program requirements. Some common prerequisites may include courses in math and science, such as calculus and physics. It is important to review the program's prerequisites and work with an academic advisor to ensure you have completed all necessary requirements before transferring.