Meeting My Heroes: Micheal Shermer, Sam Harris & Lawrence Krauss

• Thread starter physicophile
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about the 3rd annual Beyond Belief Lectures hosted by the Salk at UCSD. The speaker talks about how amazing it was to hear and meet many personal heroes during the event, including Michael Shermer and Sam Harris. They also mention specific topics that were discussed, such as human flourishing, politics, morality, money, and law. The speaker shares a link where the lectures can be watched and asks if anyone else has had the opportunity to meet their personal heroes.
physicophile
Two weeks ago i had the honor of attending the 3rd annual Beyond Belief Lectures hosted by the Salk at UCSD. I just wanted to say how amazing it was to hear and meet many of my personal heroes. It was great, during the lunch break Micheal Shermer sat down at the same table as me and i got a chance to talk with him. Also i got to chat with sam harris Lawrence Krauss ! :)

Human Flourishing/Eudaimonics
with A.C. Grayling, Sonja Lyubomirsky, Owen Flanagan, Güven Güzeldere, & George Koob

This is Your Brain on Politics
with Naomi Oreskes, Chis Mooney/Sheril Kirshenbaum, & Tony Haymet

Human Flourishing, continued
with Peter Turchin, Sally Satel, & V.S. Ramachandran

This is Your Brain on Morality
with Jonathan Haidt, Sam Harris, Jonathan Glover, Marco Iacoboni, & Patricia Churchland

This is Your Brain on Money
with Brian Knutson, Paul Zak, Michael Shermer, Philip Zimbardo, & Terrence Sejnowski

This is Your Brain on Law
with Walter Sinnott-Armstrong, Erin O'Hara, Amanda Pustilnik, Adam Kolber, & Nita Farahany

This is Your Brain on Politics, continued
with Lawrence Krauss, Sir Harold Kroto, Sheril Kirshenbaum/Chris Mooney,
Leon Lederman & Beatrice Golomb

you can watch these lectures at http://thesciencenetwork.org/programs/beyond-belief-candles-in-the-dark

Has anyone else here ever had a chance to meet any of there personal heroes?

Physics news on Phys.org
Most of mine are dead... :(

As a scientist, it is always inspiring and exciting to meet and learn from some of the greatest minds in our field. I can only imagine how incredible it must have been to attend the Beyond Belief Lectures and meet your personal heroes, including Michael Shermer, Sam Harris, and Lawrence Krauss. These individuals have made significant contributions to the fields of human flourishing, morality, and the brain, and it must have been a privilege to have the opportunity to discuss with them in person.

The topics covered at the conference, such as human flourishing, politics, morality, money, and law, are all relevant and important areas of study in today's society. It is encouraging to see such brilliant minds coming together to share their insights and research on these topics. I am particularly interested in the lectures on human flourishing and the brain, as these are areas that I am currently researching as well.

I appreciate that you have shared the link to watch the lectures online. It is a wonderful resource for those who were not able to attend the conference in person. I will definitely be taking the time to watch and learn from these lectures.

Regarding meeting personal heroes, I have had the opportunity to meet a few of mine in my field of study. It is always a humbling experience to be in the presence of someone who has made such significant contributions to science and to be able to engage in conversation with them. It is a reminder of the importance of mentorship and the impact that we can have on others through our work.

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Beyond Belief Lectures and for reminding us of the importance of continuously learning and seeking knowledge from those who inspire us. I hope to have the chance to attend such a conference in the future and meet some of my own personal heroes.

What is the significance of meeting these three particular individuals?

The significance of meeting Michael Shermer, Sam Harris, and Lawrence Krauss is that they are all prominent figures in the fields of science, skepticism, and critical thinking. They have each made significant contributions to their respective fields and are highly respected by their peers.

What can I expect from meeting these individuals in person?

You can expect to have the opportunity to engage in thought-provoking discussions and ask questions about their work and beliefs. They are known for their engaging personalities and willingness to have open and honest conversations.

Is there a specific event or occasion where I can meet all three of them?

There are various events where all three of them may be in attendance, such as conferences, lectures, or book signings. It is recommended to check their respective websites or social media pages for upcoming events.

What topics do they typically discuss in their work and presentations?

They cover a wide range of topics related to science, skepticism, critical thinking, religion, and morality. Each of them has their own unique perspectives and areas of expertise, but they often collaborate and discuss similar themes in their work.

How can I prepare for meeting these individuals?

It is recommended to familiarize yourself with their work and any recent projects they have been involved in. This will allow for more meaningful and engaging conversations. It is also important to approach the meeting with an open mind and a willingness to learn and engage in respectful dialogue.

Back