Continuous Function: Showing f is Continuous

In summary, the conversation discusses defining a function f that maps a metric space (X,d) to the real numbers, where f(x) is defined as d(a,x) for some element a of X. The goal is to prove that this function is continuous, but the specifics of the function are not given and it must be shown for an arbitrary metric. The conversation also mentions the usefulness of the 4 properties of metrics, particularly the Triangle Inequality, in solving this problem. In conclusion, the key idea is to show that for any epsilon, there exists a delta such that the distance between any two points x and y is less than delta, given that the difference between f(x) and f(y) is less than epsilon.
CarmineCortez
I have an assignment question

" let (X,d) be a metric space. a is element of X. Define a function f maps X -> R by f(x) = d(a,x). show f is continuous."

I'm not sure what this function looks like. Is f(x) = sqrt(a^2+x^2) and if it is I need abs(x-a) < delta?? I'm confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
CarmineCortez said:
I'm not sure what this function looks like. Is f(x) = sqrt(a^2+x^2)

That would be one possibility, but the problem, as written, is not specific to a particular metric. You need to show the result for an arbitrary metric. Note that all metrics have the following 4 properties:

1) [itex] d(x,y) \geq 0[/itex]
2) [itex] d(x,y) = 0 [/itex] if and only if [itex]x = y[/itex]
3) [itex] d(x,y) = d(y,x)[/itex]
4) [itex] d(x,z) \leq d(x,y) + d(y,z) [/itex]

CarmineCortez said:
and if it is I need abs(x-a) < delta?? I'm confused.

What you want to show is that if [itex]|f(x) - f(y)| < \epsilon[/itex], then there exists some [itex]\delta[/itex] such that [itex]d(x,y) < \delta[/itex]. Given the construction of [itex]f(x)[/itex] used here, I would expect property 4 (aka the Triangle Inequality) to be useful here.

Sorry - LaTeX rendering seems to be broken. Please refer to the underlying text in the meantime (hit quote and you will see it).

I think I have it now, is delta = epsilon? from the triangle inequality? if d(a,x),d(a,x_o) < epsilon/2

Last edited:

What is a continuous function?

A continuous function is a type of mathematical function where small changes in the input result in small changes in the output. This means that the graph of a continuous function has no breaks or gaps, and can be drawn without lifting the pen from the paper.

How can you show that a function is continuous?

To show that a function f is continuous, you must prove that it satisfies the three conditions of continuity: that the limit of f(x) as x approaches a exists, that f(a) is defined, and that the limit and the function value are equal.

What is the importance of continuous functions in mathematics and science?

Continuous functions are important in mathematics and science because they allow us to model and analyze real-world phenomena. They are used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to describe relationships between variables and make predictions.

What are some common examples of continuous functions?

Some common examples of continuous functions include linear functions, quadratic functions, exponential functions, and trigonometric functions. These functions are used to describe relationships between variables and can be graphed without any breaks or gaps.

What is the difference between a continuous function and a discontinuous function?

The main difference between a continuous function and a discontinuous function is that a continuous function has no breaks or gaps in its graph, while a discontinuous function has at least one break or gap. This means that a discontinuous function does not satisfy the conditions of continuity and may have undefined values at certain points.