Can a 3.5 Math GPA and Mixed Grades Still Get Me Into Grad School for Math?

In summary, the individual has a 3.5 GPA in math and received a B in analysis and complex analysis and a C in abstract algebra. They also took graduate level versions of these classes and received A's. They got a 950 on the math subject GRE and 800 on the quant section and 610 on the verbal section of the general GRE. They are wondering about their chances of getting into grad school and are seeking suggestions on which ones to apply to. They have also done two years of research in mathematical economics and have a double major in mathematics and economics with a 3.9 GPA in economics. They have taken graduate level courses in real analysis, algebra, and complex analysis and received their degrees from UC Berkeley. Another
2w0t1f1
I have a 3.5 math gpa. I didn't do too well my first three semesters of college. However i got straight A's from my second semester of sophomore year on. I received a B in analysis and complex analysis and a C in my abstract algebra class. However I also took the graduate level versions of these classes and received A's in them. I got a 950 on the math subject Gre and 800 quant and 610 verb on the general gre. What are my chances of getting into a grad school. Does anyone have a suggestions about which ones i should apply to?

I've also done two years of research, dealing with mathematical economics

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh here is more information.
I double majored in mathematics and economics.
I have a 3.9 gpa in economics. I've taken two semesters of graduate level real analysis, two semesters of graduate level algebra and a semester of graduate level complex analysis.
I received my degrees from UC berkeley.

Well, you have a better GPA than I did, and I got into grad school. Granted, I'm doing my PhD in physics, so I don't know if there's a difference. But to answer your question, I'd say yes, you should apply to grad school. If all of your bad grades were in the lower level courses, this means you've shown improvement, and could make a successful grad student. My case was much the same. I did abismally in my first two years of physics, but very well in the upper division classes. I've managed to get a much better GPA in grad school (3.46), and recently even passed the written qualifier. So why not apply and see what happens?

If you already have 4.0 credit in graduate level complex and real analysis and abstract algebra then you should definitely go to grad school in math.

1. Should I apply to Grad School?

This is a common question among students who are considering their next steps in their academic and professional careers. The answer to this question ultimately depends on your personal goals and circumstances.

2. What are the benefits of attending Grad School?

Some potential benefits of attending Grad School include gaining advanced knowledge and skills in your field, improving your career prospects, and potentially increasing your salary. Additionally, Grad School can provide networking opportunities and connections with professionals in your field.

3. What factors should I consider before applying to Grad School?

Before applying to Grad School, it's important to consider factors such as the cost of tuition and living expenses, the program's curriculum and reputation, and the potential job opportunities after graduation. It's also important to assess if attending Grad School aligns with your long-term goals and if you have the necessary time and resources to commit to the program.

4. How do I choose the right Grad School and program for me?

Choosing the right Grad School and program can be a daunting task. It's important to research and compare different schools and programs, considering factors such as the faculty, curriculum, research opportunities, and the school's overall reputation. It can also be helpful to reach out to current students or alumni for their insights and experiences.

5. Are there any alternative options to Grad School?

Yes, there are alternative options to Grad School, such as gaining work experience, pursuing certifications, or taking online courses. It's important to carefully consider your career goals and the skills and knowledge you need to achieve them in order to determine the best path for you.