How to Calculate the Maximum Resultant of Two Vectors?

In summary, the maximum possible resultant of two vectors with magnitudes of 20 and 8 units is 28 units. This can be achieved when the two vectors are pointing in the same direction.
rkiraly
Max resultant of 2 vectors...

Homework Statement

What is the maximum possible resultant of two vectors with magnitudes of 20 and 8 units?

The Attempt at a Solution

i really honestly just don't get it, i know to some of you it may be really simple but can somone please explain this to me and how to get your answer?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

well think of the vectors like the hands of a clock, the way to add it together with the highest possible magnitude is when they are pointing the same direction, which is 28 units.

If the two forces point in opposite directions, then you will get the minimum resultant force.

Now knowing this, what do you think the forces will have to do to give the max resultant?

thanks a lot guys =) i get it now... and i feel pretty dumb too... haha

1. What is the definition of the max resultant of 2 vectors?

The max resultant of 2 vectors is the largest possible value that can be obtained when combining the magnitudes and directions of the two vectors. It represents the maximum strength or magnitude of the combined effect of the two vectors.

2. How is the max resultant of 2 vectors calculated?

The max resultant of 2 vectors can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the magnitude of the resultant is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the individual vector magnitudes.

3. Can the max resultant of 2 vectors be negative?

No, the max resultant of 2 vectors is always a positive value. This is because the Pythagorean theorem only takes into account the magnitude of the vectors, not their direction. If the resultant is negative, it means the vectors are pointing in opposite directions and should be subtracted instead of added.

4. How does the angle between the two vectors affect the max resultant?

The angle between the two vectors affects the max resultant by changing the magnitude of the resultant. The maximum resultant occurs when the two vectors are parallel to each other, and the minimum resultant occurs when the two vectors are perpendicular to each other.

5. Can the max resultant of 2 vectors be greater than the sum of the individual vector magnitudes?

Yes, the max resultant of 2 vectors can be greater than the sum of the individual vector magnitudes. This occurs when the two vectors are not parallel to each other and their combined effect is greater than the sum of their individual effects.