Student Loans for Engineering Degrees

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of whether engineering is a suitable career choice for someone considering the high cost of education and potential loans. The speaker emphasizes the importance of considering personal value and ability to pay, rather than relying on others' opinions or statistics. They also provide a simple calculation to determine monthly loan payments and note that it is ultimately up to the individual to decide if the investment is worth it. The speaker also dismisses the notion of feeling "enslaved" by loans, urging responsibility and maturity in decision-making.
whypickthree
hmm

Test

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
With all due respect, I think you need to consider whether engineering is for you or not.

Whether a loan is "average" is utterly irrelevant. What matters is your value on the education and your own ability to pay. Not other people's. It doesn't matter if the average bridge span is 200 feet if you have a 400 foot river to cross.

A loan of $64k-80k at 7% for 10 years works out to monthly payment of $740-930. This is simple to calculate (and again, asking other people to do a simple calculation for you is not the hallmark of a successful engineer) The average starting salary for an engineer is about $4500 a month (asking other people to look up a fact for you is not the hallmark of a successful engineer). It's your decision as to whether 16-20% of your gross salary to pay off loans is a good or bad bargain.

As for "enslaved", spare me. Nobody is forcing you to take out a loan. Nobody is forcing you not to. Be an adult and take some responsibility for your decisions instead of kvetching about "enslavement".

Engineer:

I understand the importance of pursuing higher education in a field like engineering. However, the idea of accumulating student loans for an engineering degree may seem daunting. While engineering is a lucrative and in-demand field, it is important for students to carefully consider their financial options before taking on significant debt.

One potential solution could be to explore scholarship and grant opportunities specifically for engineering students. These can help offset the cost of tuition and reduce the need for student loans. Additionally, students could also consider part-time work or internships in their field to gain valuable experience while also earning money to offset the cost of their education.

Another important factor to consider is the return on investment for an engineering degree. While student loans may seem overwhelming at first, the potential for a high-paying job in the engineering field can make them a worthwhile investment in the long run. It is important for students to carefully research job opportunities and salary potential in their specific field of engineering before making a decision about taking on student loans.

Ultimately, the decision to take on student loans for an engineering degree is a personal one and should be carefully considered. I encourage students to weigh their options and make an informed decision that aligns with their career goals and financial situation.

1. What is the average cost of an engineering degree?

The average cost of an engineering degree can vary greatly depending on the university or college you attend and whether you are an in-state or out-of-state student. According to the National Center for Education Statistics, the average cost of tuition and fees for a four-year engineering degree at a public institution is around $40,000 for in-state students and $100,000 for out-of-state students.

2. Are there any scholarships or grants specifically for engineering students?

Yes, there are many scholarships and grants available specifically for engineering students. Some are offered by professional engineering organizations, while others are funded by private companies or government agencies. It is important to do your research and apply for as many scholarships and grants as possible to help offset the cost of your degree.

3. Can I use student loans to pay for my engineering degree?

Yes, student loans are a common way for students to finance their engineering degrees. However, it is important to carefully consider how much you borrow and to understand the terms and conditions of your loans. You will be responsible for repaying these loans after graduation, so it is important to borrow only what you truly need.

4. Are there any loan forgiveness programs for engineering students?

There are some loan forgiveness programs available for engineering students, but they are limited. The Public Service Loan Forgiveness program, for example, may forgive the remaining balance on your federal loans if you work for a qualifying non-profit organization or government agency for at least 10 years while making on-time payments. It is important to research and understand the eligibility requirements and terms of any loan forgiveness program you may be considering.

5. How can I minimize the amount of student loans I need for my engineering degree?

There are several ways to minimize the amount of student loans you need for your engineering degree. One way is to look for scholarships and grants to help cover the cost of tuition and fees. Additionally, you can save money by attending a community college for your general education courses before transferring to a four-year university. It is also important to carefully consider the cost of living and find ways to reduce expenses, such as living with roommates or finding a part-time job. Lastly, try to limit your borrowing to only what you need for tuition and fees, rather than using loans to cover living expenses.