Surface Integration of a Cone (Sloped Surface)

In summary, the homework statement is that find the sloping surface of a right cone with semi-angle \Omega with a base radius of a.
Wildcat04

Homework Statement

Given Parameterization:
x = u cos [tex]\phi[/tex]
y = sin [tex]\phi[/tex]
z = u cot [tex]\Omega[/tex]

Find the sloping surface of a right cone with semi-angle [tex]\Omega[/tex] with a base radius of a.

Homework Equations

Surface area of a cone = [tex]\pi r\sqrt{r^2 + h^2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Solid angle:
[tex]\Omega = \int(r dS)/ (r^3)[/tex]

semi angle = (1/2) [tex]\Omega[/tex]

Cartesian Equation of a cone:

(x2 + y2) / (r / h)2 = z2

I understand the concepts of surface integration but I have not run across a problem where F was not given. I have a feeling that I am much more likely to run into this issue in the future and I would like to know what the process of determining F is.

Should I start by taking the div of the cartesian equation and then plugging in the given parameters (x,y,z) and integrating?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't make sense to tell us that "F" is not given, when you don't tell us what "F" is!

In any case, if [itex] x= u cos(\phi)[/itex], [itex]y= u sin(\phi)[/itex], and [itex]z= u cot(\Omega), where u and [itex]\phi[/itex], and [itex]\Omega[/itex]is a constant, [itex]\vec{r}= u cos(\phi)\vec{i}+ u sin(\phi)\vec{j}+ u cot(\Omega)\vec{k}[/itex] so [itex]\vec{r}_u= cos(\phi)\vec{i}+ sin(\phi)\vec{j}+ cot(\Omega)\vec{k}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{r}_\phi=- -u sin(\phi)\vec{i}+ u cos(\phi)\vec{j}[/itex] are tangent vectors to the surface in the direction of "coordinate lines". The "fundamental vector product" [itex]\vec{r}_u\times \vec{r}_\phi[/itex] is [itex]-ucos(\phi)cot(\Omega)\vec{i}- usin(\phi)cot(\Omega)\vec{j}+ u\vec{k}[/itex]. The "differential of surface area" is the length of that vector times [itex]du\d\phi[/itex]: [itex]u\sqrt{cot^2(\Omega)+ 1}dud\phi[/itex]

The "F" I was referring to is the function inside a double or triple integral when doing a surface integration

ie

[tex]\int\int\int F dV[/tex]

With your help I believe that I have come up with the answer, however I am having a little trouble showing that it is correct.

A = (2[tex]\Pi[/tex])(Slope Height) / 2

after my integration I end up with the following:

[ ([tex]\Pi[/tex]a2)/2 ] (cot2[tex]\Omega[/tex] + 1).5

Which simplifies down to

[([tex]\Pi[/tex]a2)/2] csc[tex]\Omega[/tex]

Can someone give me a push (or shove) in the right direction to prove this equals A from above?

Wildcat04 said:
The "F" I was referring to is the function inside a double or triple integral when doing a surface integration

ie

[tex]\int\int\int F dV[/tex]
That's a volume integral, not a surface integral! The "F" you want to find the surface area, when dS is the differential of surface area is just "1":
[tex]\int\int 1 dS= S[/tex].

[/quote]With your help I believe that I have come up with the answer, however I am having a little trouble showing that it is correct.

A = (2[tex]\Pi[/tex])(Slope Height) / 2

after my integration I end up with the following:

[ ([tex]\Pi[/tex]a2)/2 ] (cot2[tex]\Omega[/tex] + 1).5

Which simplifies down to

[([tex]\Pi[/tex]a2)/2] csc[tex]\Omega[/tex]

Can someone give me a push (or shove) in the right direction to prove this equals A from above?[/QUOTE]

1. What is surface integration of a cone?

Surface integration of a cone is a mathematical technique used to find the total area of a sloped surface on a cone. It involves breaking up the surface into small sections and adding them together to get the total area.

2. How is surface integration of a cone different from finding the surface area of a cone?

Surface integration of a cone is different from finding the surface area of a cone because it takes into account the sloped surface, while finding the surface area only considers the curved surface of the cone.

3. What is the formula for surface integration of a cone?

The formula for surface integration of a cone is ∫√(1+r²) dr dθ, where r is the radius of the cone at a specific point and θ is the angle of the cone at that point.

4. What is the purpose of surface integration of a cone?

The purpose of surface integration of a cone is to find the total area of a sloped surface on a cone. This can be useful in various applications such as calculating the surface area of a cone-shaped object or determining the amount of material needed to cover a cone-shaped surface.

5. Can surface integration of a cone be applied to other shapes?

Yes, surface integration techniques can be applied to other shapes as well. However, the specific formula may vary depending on the shape and its characteristics.